Layout items move on different magnifications

This topic is 8104 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi again!

I'm working on a FM 3.0 database for a small business. When I design the layout and look at it at 100% magnification, it looks fine. However, one of the users may want to look at it at 150% or 200%. Testing at that level of magnification, many of the items move a bit. It's not enough to throw everything off, but it is a bother.

I've locked all items in the layouts, it still happens. I'm on a 400 MHZ TiBook, running OS 9.2.

Any advice, or is this too petty of a problem and should I just let it go and hope no one else notices?

Thanks!

Russ Conte

Could be worse -- try printing on a Windows machine. Talk about things moving!

Yeah, stuff moves when you zoom, even on a Mac. One answer for those who have different screen resolutions is to use different layouts for different screen resolutions and script the opening to go to whichever start layout matches the screen resolution (in v5.0, use the Status(CurrentScreenWidth) function; I don't know if it's available for v3 -- and why are you using that antiquated version, anyway?). That way, they can all use the 100% zoom level.

HTH,

Dan

To reduce moving of layout objects:

1. Use only 2 or 3 standard system fonts. For Mac: Helvetica and Times will translate fine for Windows which will substitute Arial and Times New Roman. These fonts will also be 'fairly' close on both platforms when printing, but they will look a little different. Line heights in multi-line fields will also be different. A 20 line text field, for example, will look so different. Avoid fancy added fonts. If the user does not have that font installed, you may get some ugly, uncontrollable results.

2. Stretch all of the text blocks and fields to be a little bit larger than they need to be - this will eliminate word wrapping. It is also a necessity for cross-platform solutions.

This should reduce the different 'look' issue when using various magnifications and also will help when printing.

If you are developing for cross-platform (Mac and Windows) I also recommend doing all of the initial development on the Windows side, then tweak the solution on the Mac side. The reason is: the Mac platform is much more forgiving when it comes to font differences.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I don't know if it's possible with version 3, but with version 5, for cross-platform databases I use images instead of text for all labels of fields. Things stay pretty much the same. In layout mode I make a text label, copy it, then "paste special". There is also the option of storing compatible image files. (that can blow up the size of the file if there are a lot of images).

This has been the best way around things for me.

Windows, FMv5

• 1 month later...

Windows & Mac...they both move at different magnifications. I have resolution scripts built into my work that adjusts for monitor res...but short of re-building layouts for different mags/res...which is waaaay too much work...I say live with it the best you can...just find out the most common resolutions of the users...and focus on them.

This topic is 8104 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.