Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Improper File Name breaks calculations

LaRetta

This topic is 3675 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Well, yes, I know I shouldn't improperly name a file.  Windows is very rigid on the issue but Mac is much more forgiving.  And I know it is important to use Developer Utilities when renaming a file from a group of files particularly if imports are involved but this was a simple temporary rename of a file to its version number.

FMPA 13.0v2 Maverick

When I rename a file, it breaks two custom functions which do not have anything to do with the file name.   The attached video shows:

Desktop with two files (the second an immediate copy of the first and simply renamed) to improperly include an extra period -  1.0v2.fmp12 instead of just 1v2.fmp12.

Opening the first file and going to the report, notice the yellow fields (second column and last column) fill in with data as they should.  These two custom functions condense the body into single concatenated strings using summary ListOf.  Now we will open the second file which is identical except the file name was changed to an 'improper' name.  Notice both custom functions disappear.

The only similarity between the two custom functions' calculations is that they both are generated from summary ListOf and reside in a leading summary.  I plan to explore it further to see if I can pin which part of this entire process depends upon file name so that, when renaming, it would lose its reference.  Isn't that what it appears happened?  I've created a few test files with simpler concatenation CFs and I can't make them break by renaming as of yet.

But since I had wasted a few days pinning this puppy down, I thought others might be caught by it and I hope to save others from losing a few days.  This is a fairly new file in v13 and it has never crashed and passes recovery.  I do not suspect corruption but rather an anomaly and sloppy file naming on my part.  I consider it reminder to be more careful.   :laugh2:

BTW, when the extra dot is removed, FM returns to normal display of the custom functions again.  So it is a temporary loss of reference.

ADDED:  Both calculations also use GetSummary().

FileNamingBreak.mp4.zip

Indeed!  Obviously I had forgotten the thread you reference, LOL.  It's been six years ... one would think it would be fixed by now.  Of course one would think one would remember such a conversation from only six years ago as well.    

I HAVE been taught not to use periods in file names but Mac is so friendly.  It's Mac's fault, not mine, for being so lenient.   :laugh3:

Thank you for saving me from additional wasted time in isolating the 'loss of reference'.  Of course I looked at the ValueListItems() in the calculations and still didn't put it together.

I'm still chuckling over this one. 

This topic is 3675 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.