Remote Scripter Confusion

This topic is 3652 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

OK, i'm getting really confused here, and the documentation doesn't really help answer my question. Let me see if I can make any sense here (for simplicity i've only included info about the databases I wish to utilise RemoteScripter on, which I will call the 'Target Database') -

Setup -

Server 13 Advanced - hosting an Access Control Database, the Target Database and a 'cut down' web version of the Target Database (for WebDirect use).

The target database and the web version of the Target database both link to the Access Control Database which provides multiple variables that control what each user can access and do within the Target Database (via External Data Sources).

The web version is a cut down 'front end' with a few web version specific parts, but the main data comes from the Target database itself (via External Data Source).

Basically, I need to be able to call a remote script from within WebDirect, that performs a PDF creation script (which I already have working in the Target database - if accessing using FMPro).

Now, the bit I don't get is where I have to install the plugins.

I will set up a seperate machine to run FMPro (which will remain logged in all day etc etc), and this will access the Target Database that is hosted on the server. So, do I need to install the plugin on the standalone FMPro machine AND the server (even though the FMPro client will be accessing a database hosted by the server anyway?

Hi BrammersUK,

It sounds like you're on the right track. The RemoteScripter plugin actually needs to be installed in both places -- the server AND the FMPro robot machine. The reason for this is because the plugin serves as both sides of the connection. It listens for triggers, and it also sends triggers. You will want to install the plugin into the web publishing engine so that you can trigger your script from WebDirect, and you want the plugin installed on your FMPro machine, constantly listening for a trigger from WD. Check out this link to get the proper plugin installation paths for WebDirect: http://docs.360works.com/index.php/Plugins_101

You will configure a startup script on your FMPro robot machine that will call RemoteScripterStart() so that the plugin will begin listening, then on the layout in WebDirect where you want to trigger the PDF creation, you will use RemoteScripterTrigger() These functions are IP address specific, so it's okay that you have separate pro and webd files, you will specify the IP address where the listening robot machine is in your script.

If you have any more questions, feel free to respond here or send us a message at [email protected]

Cheers!

This topic is 3652 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.