Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Let user choose file path and name for appended PDFs

This topic is 3628 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi folks,

I am trying to create a script where if the user clicks a button, a number of different layouts are saved as one PDF file.

This is easy to do if I define the file path and the file name with the first layout I save as a PDF, and then append all the other layouts to it.

However what I ideally need to do is allow the user to choose the file name and path. What I need to do is somehow capture these elements so the script can find the file and append the other layouts to it.

I can think of a somewhat crass way of getting these elements separately (although to get the filepath the user would have to click on another file in the folder they want to save the PDF in - which will not be logical from the user's point of view), but it would make much more sense to the user if they can just save the PDF as they would any other, by just clicking the "Save to PDF" button that is on the layout and then choosing the file name and path from the pop up window. 

As far as I know there is no way to get this information as a variable directly from the Save as PDF dialog box, which leads me to think what I am trying to do is not possible. But I was hoping that one of you knowledgeable folk out there would have a solution I have not thought of.

James

Figured out a way to do it. I can compile the PDF in the temp folder, assigning my own name to it, import the finished PDF into a container field and then use the "Export Field Contents" script step to let the user choose a new name if they wish and the filepath of their choice. Problem solved (as long as it works!)

This topic is 3628 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.