jump menu in the header of a list

This topic is 8078 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

i want to create a jump menu in the header of a list view i am using two global fields the the users will beable to set and click go so a script will take the users inputs go into find mode find the records that they asked for and flick back to browse mode with the results

but why wont filemaker let the user edit the global fields in the header of the list

Hi,

when you use a list view, you cannot enter information into a field contained in a header.

You can use globals in the header of a form view though.

Maybe you could use a portal on a form view and then allow the user to enter information in your jump menus from there.

Just an idea

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar setup in my solutions, and have come up with two possible answers (both of them a little ugly).

#1 -Put copies of your global fields in the body of the list, as well. Format them to have the same drop-style as the field in your header, then shrink them to 1 pixel by 1 pixel. Format the field in your header to be a Go to Field button for your global field. The drop-box for your value list will appear in whatever record is selected.

#2 -Create a new layout that looks like your list, but has no fields in the body. On the original list, format the field in your header to be a button activating this script:

Go to layout (new layout)

Go to field (global field)

Pause/Resume script (indefinite)

Go to layout (original layout)

Perform script (the script for your "Go" button)

The "Go" button on the new layout will just be formatted for Resume script.

Neither approach is pretty, but they are the closest things that I can come up with. Did I explain those OK?

Paul

[ April 02, 2002, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: pspafford ]

I had the same problem. My solution was to use a single record layout and use a huge portal that acted like the list view.

It works pretty good with the limitations being that it gets complicated if you want to be able to change which records are displayed in your Quasi-List view since you are using a relationship to display the records instead of a found set.

>> Just had an idea - you could have a button in the header of the list view that opens another file, bringing it to the front (maybe a smaller frame) and then provides the options that you are looking for that perform external scripts and set fields to accomplish your goal. - I kinda like that one - I'm gonna give it a try when I get home today!

[ April 03, 2002, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: BruceJ ]

quote:

Originally posted by thewalker:

i want to create a jump menu in the header of a list view i am using two global fields the the users will beable to set and click go so a script will take the users inputs go into find mode find the records that they asked for and flick back to browse mode with the results

but why wont filemaker let the user edit the global fields in the header of the list

Well you should use portal, but if you really don't want it then you could try this one:

1. Create an global container.

2. Create duplicate of your list layout

3. Enter Browse Mode go to duplicated layout and transform it from list to form view.

4. Clear all fields exept your jump menu and eventually buttons and drop the global container you've created, than make it large enoughf to cover exactly entire printing area.Disable entry on it, move it to back and lock it.

5.Finally, create an script

code:

Freeze Window

Enter preview Mode

Copy

Enter Browse Mode

Go To Layout[duplicated layout]

Paste[global container]

Go to field[your jump menu, select/perform]

PauseResumeScript[0:0:10] // give user chance to perform find

Go Layout [original layout]

afterward perform any script you need to and, of course, set option "exit current script" to button(s).

6. Attach the script I gave you to Jump menu of your original list layout and remember to disallow entry into field before.

However, I repeat use portal it's better

HTH

Dj

This topic is 8078 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.