filemaker 5.5 and unlimited and multi threaded web companion

This topic is 8321 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is it true that unlimited is not yet upto 5.5.

I am extremely annoyed that they have released the new multi threaded web companion with the 10 ip address limited 5.5 and not for unlimited. What do people who publish web sites that are limited to 10 users every 12 hours need with a multi threaded web companion. When unlimited which is suppossed to run large websites is still single threaded. Please Filemaker sort this out. This is what I have been waiting for

Simon

They do work on it...

BTW, everyone here is saying, that the multithreaded WC is not multithreaded for db data, just for static objects.

You may work like this even today: set all pictures to be served by another server and let WC process just the data from db.

Yes but it will still server the actual page to one person only. Does 5.5 get the data from filemaker and not request another database search until it has sent all the html to the next person. Or does it request the next data from filemaker while serving out the html of the last request so in theory could be sending out 10 or more pages at the same time, instead of the one it does now. As filemker actually does the searches in fractions of seconds

Simon

Even Lasso is limited by the capabilities of FMPro with regard to being fully multi threaded for DB requests/actions.

It can still handle many many requsets per day so if you are not planning on large commercial applications I really wouldn't worry too much, if you are then wait for Lasso 5, rob a bank and buy an enterprise DB solution like oracle, Sybase etc.

Is that allowed (to rob a bank) for business expansion?

Well, Oracle at $40 000 per CPU plus the rest, hmm that will be nice server farm with 5 IIS and 30 FM unlimited, full redundancy in HW and SW and still some money left for nice Ferrari...

Lasso is multithreaded for all requests, however database requests t the same Filemaker machine will only happen one-by-one, due to Filemaker's single-threaded database engine. However, Lasso can continue serving files and DB requests from other Filemaker machines while it waits. I'm not sure how complete the new 5.5 Web Companion's multi-threading is, but it couldn't be any better than this.

With Lasso 5, there'll be no need to rob a bank for a higher-performance database - mySQL will be built in. And, in the meantime, a properly authored solution can go VERY fast with Filemaker. Of course, it can go very slow if sloppily authored.

- John

thats all fine, I have bought a copy of lasso, but my whole website is in fmp 5 will lasso serve it with out me having to do any work, I know that lasso is suppossed to understand filemaker tags but is it that good at doing so.

Simon

The trick is the word "most". Some of the key ones like category lists in pop ups have to be recoded. A simple find and replace on the action tags will handle the rest, although I suggest you rename all lasso files from .html to .lasso to keep their code secure and make sure lasso actually parses them.

The new 5.5 is multi-threaded for web requests just like lasso and adds some new record locking functions. The 5.5 unlimited probably won't be out until october or later, according to a seminar i went to host by Filemaker Inc.

Jerry

WebDudes

This topic is 8321 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.