Adjust Container Value - By Selected Portal Row

This topic is 3573 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Good Morning,

I have a portal setup with a number of rows.  I would like to adjust the value contained in a container based on what row is selected.

The container is pointing to external data with variables that should be set by the selected row.  When I change rows the container does not update.  Should it, or do I need to create a script/trigger?  I don't know how I would proceed with the trigger, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ryan

Was this a stupid question?  I'm really struggling to understand what piece of functionality I am missing on this.  When I select a portal row, it is not changing the value stored in the container.  The container is not in the portal itself, it is a calculated path using variables within the portal.  Do I need to trigger the refresh, or is there an easier way to link the portal to the container?

Was this a stupid question?

No, it was - and still is - an unclear one. These descriptions:

The container is pointing to external data with variables that should be set by the selected row.

... it is a calculated path using variables within the portal.

are pretty much meaningless. Is it a calculation field? If yes, what is the formula? If not, why not? And (hint) what would cause the calculation to re-evaluate?

Thank you for the response.  Let me try and make this more clear with a simple test case.

I have a button, that I want to hide.  I will hide this button when:

OrderDetails::ArtCreated = "Yes"

Each line of the portal contains this field, but once I've set one of these to "Yes", the button disappears.  

Your hint is what I am unsure of.  I assume that once I've clicked on the portal row I need to refresh the page somehow, but this is what I do not know how to do.

Thanks again.

I am afraid this is not getting any clearer, on the contrary. 

I have a button, that I want to hide.

Where is this button? Is it inside or outside the portal?

I will hide this button when:

OrderDetails::ArtCreated = "Yes"

If I assume that the button is outside the portal, then the above condition is unsatisfactory: there are bound to be more than one OrderDetails, and this condition (when evaluated outside of the portal) only applies to the first one of these.

In any case, this condition is about the contents of a field - unlike your previous one, which is about active portal row. Big difference there, because an expression can reference a field - thus Filemaker knows (in most cases) that it needs to be re-evaluated when the field is modified.

This topic is 3573 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.