Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Open database without main application window

This topic is 3527 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi. Is there a way to open a database so that automatically opens in its own window and not within the main (fmp13) application window. A bit like kiosk mode but in it's own resizable window. The reason being so that it would (look like it) launches like a independent application and not within fmp. I understand that the user would need a copy of filmaker pro on their system. Creating a runtime is not really an option as it needs to be multiuser. Can any one help. Or even suggest a different way to acheive the same effect.

Thanks.

Maybe it works differently in a Mac. Maybe because the menu items and main program window are part of the taskbar at the top when not maximised.

In Windows it opens framed within a filemaker program window. A bit like when you have unmaximised documents open in Word. With the Word program around the document.

Is there a way to make the database seem like it opens independently? It would look much more professional.

Hi data man, and welcome to the FM Forums,

Please update your Profile to reflect your current FileMaker version, OS and Platform. Since you will be working cross platform, then either put the primary platform, or use the drop down list to select Cross platform.

Here is a quick link for your convenience MY PROFILE

Lee

• 4 weeks later...

dataman

If I read your question correctly, you want your solution window to take up the entire FileMaker window and not view the grey background.

This is an issue that is only on windows.  On a Mac, FileMaker draws its own independent windows like you would expect.

there are a couple of techniques you can use to make the Windows users better.

I would make better use of the script step 'Adjust Window' and set it to maximize, or at least Resize to Fit.

there is a handy custom function at briandunning.com that detects if the current window is maximized.

Until FileMaker, Inc. changes the way the windows are redrawn on Windows I would use these.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

This topic is 3527 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.