Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Export Issue

This topic is 3551 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

First off, we use a FileMaker database that is hosted on the machine I work on, and the other users use the "remote connection" to access the database.

My issue arises when a a user attempts to use a script I have created. The script goes to a few layouts, shows all the records, and exports them to a folder on the machine I use as an excel spreadsheet. The script then creates an email with the excel spreadsheet attached, and emails to a person.

The script works perfectly fine on my machine, but whenever another user who is remote connected in attempts the script, it says

("filename.xlsx" could not be created on this disk. Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk.) 

I am still trouble shooting the issue, but figured I would check on here to see if anyone has any insight? Thanks.

Your problem here is the context of the remote user. They cannot export to YOUR folder. They must export to a folder on THEIR computer.

Sounds like you have fixed the export path to one on your computer.

Your users must be able to specify their own folder.

First off, we use a FileMaker database that is hosted on the machine I work on, and the other users use the "remote connection" to access the database.

My issue arises when a a user attempts to use a script I have created. The script goes to a few layouts, shows all the records, and exports them to a folder on the machine I use as an excel spreadsheet. The script then creates an email with the excel spreadsheet attached, and emails to a person.

The script works perfectly fine on my machine, but whenever another user who is remote connected in attempts the script, it says

("filename.xlsx" could not be created on this disk. Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk.) 

I am still trouble shooting the issue, but figured I would check on here to see if anyone has any insight? Thanks.

This sounds like a save location issue.

The save location should be specific to each machine in the script. It sounds like it's trying to save the file to your machine which doesn't exist on the remote machine. Maybe you can give the remote users a local save folder location as a field and plug that field into your save script. 

You need to either provide the exact path for each computer (and hope no user messes with that folder), or use a common location, like the Desktop or the Documents folder.

If you only export the records on a temporary basis – to attach the resulting file to an e-mail – script the export to the … well, FileMaker's temporary system folder, by using Get ( TemporaryPath ).

Thank you for your replies.

So it turns out I was saving to a location no one else had access to, just as everyone suggested.

I changed the location that the file saves to a network location everyone has access too, and it has solved the issue.

I do like the idea of using FileMakers temporary system folder, since I do not run this script very often. Thank you for the suggestion.

This topic is 3551 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.