Quotes>Sales Orders>Customer Invoices

This topic is 3502 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Rethinking a bit about how I want to structure this module in a new system and would welcome any "been there, done that" words of advice.

LaRetta has kindly helped me and shared her experience, but I don't want to burden her completely!

Considerations:

1. What tables do I need? One for each entity? Share the line items table? What would Len Silverston do?

2. What action changes the quote to a sales order? (Biz rule? In this case, when the 50% deposit is received).

3. How and where do I store discounts? With each line item or as a related line item?

4. Are payments another line item on an order?

5. If each item may have a unique shipping cost...is that a separate line item record referencing the item (a self-join)?

6. Is shipping taxable?

7. How do I handle change orders?

8. Returns?

Argh..sometimes I feel a bit like I'm heading down a rabbit hole.

I would go for two tables for most of your functionality:

Table1: Orders/quotes/invoices

Table2: Line Items

2. That business rule is specific to each business. It depends.

Your order, quote, and invoice are just different layouts/status type of the same information.

3.discounts should go in each line item. If you want a global invoice discount, I don't see why you can't have that as we'll, but it might get a little hairy. Further, if you're pulling products from another table copy in the current price, don't link it.

4. Payments are another table. They link to the Order table.

5. Again, this is a special case, but nothing that a little logic can't solve. Put the special shipping cost in the line item.

6. I can't answer this. This is also business specific.

7/8. Track these via order status/states of the order. This is more of a layout workflow thing. If there's a change order, maybe there's a related table of notes or some type of audit log to track what's going on. Audit log on state change. Maybe you have mandatory notes on state change.

Thank you for your feedback.

When I say are discounts and special shipping costs a line item, I mean a separate line item from the item. Each line item would have a type (product/discount/shipping).

Payments have been suggested to me as just another line item on an order of type "payment".

This topic is 3502 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.