Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can't get Filtered Value List to work :-(

MikeKD

This topic is 3523 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Folks,

I'm working at my class assessment database and want to get a filtered value list working.

I have a portal that shows all assessments and registers for a class.

It's based on a ClassAssessJoin table.

The records in the Assess table can either be Grade or Register.

I'd like to create a value list that only shows the Grades.

I think I should do this by creating a relationship between the Grade/Register field and a preset global Grade/Register field, but can't get it to work.

Ideally, later on, I'd also like to filter the list by what year the class is as well, but I'm happy to take one step at a time!!

I can't find any relevant posts that are at a level as basic as I am!

Cheers,

Mike

To be honest I'm not sure!

I can manage an unfiltered value list.

I suspect it's the relationship I'm mucking up - I've never used one to do this before.

I've created a global field set to "grade".

I've attempted to use that to only show only fields that match it but it's not working - all records are showing in the value list.

I've attached the relationship...

Many thanks!!

post-66258-0-72215000-1410698880_thumb.j

It's unclear to me what you intended to achieve by that relationship(s). Also, you really should get into the habit of giving your TOs meaningful names.

The other question is: once you have a relationship that finds only records related to the current class and flagged as grade, what values from those records do you want to display in your conditional value list, and to what purpose?

Thanks for your help :-)

The only thing I want to achieve by that relationship is the creation of a conditional value list.

This goes in a portal ready to add records to the Class_Assess_Join table.  Sometimes more than one class will do the same grading (end of year exams etc). You'd never want to have the same register shared by more than one class - that's why I want to filter the list from (potentially) dozens of registers & gradings to just a few gradings.

As I understand it, the only way to filter a value list is to create a filtered TO - but I've never done that before.

There's two reasons my TO don't have useful names:

1. I'm worried about breaking things that work by changing table names - does FM automagically adjust relationships and scripts etc?
  2. I can't usually think of anything more useful than what's there!!

Hope that helps...

Cheers,

Mike

Oh, forgot to say - the fields to be displayed are the ID from the join table, and the grade title from the assessment table.

Thanks for that.

I'm struggling to work out how to filter down the TO on two criteria, when one criteria is in a separate table (classes).  Should I create another field in the table I'm already using that takes its value from the classes table and then relate that from the existing TO?

This topic is 3523 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.