Server Maintenance This Week. ×

[Hiring] University of Iowa - Web Application & Database solutions developer

tcfitzgerald

This topic is 3513 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The Enterprise Services Application Development group at the University of Iowa is looking for a web application and database solutions developer with some FileMaker expertise.

The ideal candidate will have experience with PHP web development as well as FileMaker development.  Many of our PHP applications are built with FileMaker as the backend.  Some of the tools we use to accomplish this are the CodeIgniter PHP framework and FX.php.  We also administer FileMaker Server for hosted campus solutions, so experience with FM Server is a plus.  Those with experience in other languages or general database development with a desire to work in PHP and FileMaker are encouraged to apply.

You can view the full job posting here:  https://jobs.uiowa.edu/pands/view/64991

For a junior developer that basically know only FileMaker with a touch of familarity with a ESS and HTML, maybe. But, yeah, that description looks like they want a FileMaker/SQL/Web/C#/Java/Access/Oracle/Graphics Designer/Server Admin developer all rolled into one. 

They do exist, but I think they are running their own business and making 200k/yr or working for Google making 150k or more.

I agree it is quite low, but keep in mind that being an employee provides other benefits particularly insurance and if someone has a family, the bennies plus guaranteed predictable regular salary can be quite attractive.  

Also, cost of living must be taken into account ... someone can look up the cost of living comparisons.  For instance, in New York the salary must be MUCH higher than for someone in Oklahoma, for example.

In all, it is good to let them know it is low ... for any part of the country - so if they DO hire someone, I hope they appreciate them that much more.

You made me curious as to the salary. It reads $48,671.00 to Commensurate, I wonder how high Commensurate can go.

In Iowa I would expect that the Cost of Living might be a lot less than one would expect at someplace such as San Jose, CA or San Francisco.

p.s. not to mention the Benefits, as LaRetta points out, could be substantial.

Edited by Lee Smith
p.s.

Median salary for a db admin in Iowa City, $58k. An oracle db admin is $94k.

Looking at the benefits the College offers.  Looks pretty good. 100% employer contribution for single coverage ( 80% for family ), if I'm reading it right. That's good, but not I suppose it depends on one's health if that's worth it or not.

Not only one's health but their family and size.  I know a FileMaker developer who accepted an employee position (much lower than his independent income by quite a bit) because his wife had just had triplets two months early.  When I asked him why, he said, "Large family + premie = huge medical needs."  Some retirement packages are worth quite a bit as well, such as the railroad.  

On the reverse, it is common for companies to use IT as an excuse to require employees to work 80+ hours a week and are protected by law (labor law in US) because IT is required to be on call 24/7.  This can reduce their salaried income to equivalent of $10 per hour.  If this company requires on-call (and does not guarantee a maximum hours required per month in their contract) then it can reduce their attractiveness.

Stability of the organisation is also important.  I do not suspect University of Iowa will be going out of business.  In all, intangibles are (almost) as important as the single salary figure.

Ain't that the truth.

I think my hourly wage ( if I was hourly ) is about $0.75 right now. I'm not sure how the math works because it comes out to working 26 hours a day. *scratches head*

Flexibility is a big thing to. I have turned down higher paying jobs because of the flexibility that I have now. Though I think that only lasts for so long...then the money needs to be there too. LOL

This topic is 3513 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.