Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Value List from a Field

Agentshevy

This topic is 3512 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am working on a Class project , which suppose to show the Class, the Classdetails and the Teacher incharge..

Thus, I have 3 tables, Class, ClassDetails and Teachers. The parent Table is the Class, while ClassDetails and Teacher are child tables..

Both ClassDetails and Teacher are related to the Class via the class id. (Classid to Classidfk of ClassDetails) and (classid to Classidfk of Teacher)

my layout is based on Class table, with portal based on ClassDetail table.. Now, I want to use a value list from the field in Teacher table, so as to display the Teacher who is incharge of the class..

I have done all I could think of, the value list shows, but if i select any teachers name, it always display this message ''This action cannot be performed because this field is not modifiable''

please, I need help on this..

Sounds to me like you need to edit the relationship you see through in a way you are allowed to create and edit records.

Which field did you attach the value list to?

Both ClassDetails and Teacher are related to the Class via the class id. (Classid to Classidfk of ClassDetails) and (classid to Classidfk of Teacher)

That doesn't make sense; if you have a Class foreign key in the Teachers table, then a teacher would only ever be able to teach one single class. You need to add a Teacher foreign key to the Classes tables (as in: a teacher can teach many classes, but each class has (exactly) one teacher.)

Then your relationship chain is like this:

Teachers --< Classes --< ClassDetails (whatever that may be)

Now you could create a value list from Teachers with teacherID, teacherName (show second field only), format your Classes::teacherID_FK as a popup, and use the value list to select/assign a teacher(ID).

This topic is 3512 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.