Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Full Access cannot modify served files

This topic is 3489 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

FMS 3.0.4.400

MacBook Pro 10.9.5

I have served files which have never crashed. I do not restart if it improperly closes and logs show no issues. This solution has worked fine for weeks. I have no virus scan – I follow all the proper procedures and I still have this problem which appeared this morning:

When I try to modify schema as full access (confirmed in data viewer), nothing happens. I get no message as to why – it jumps indicating it recognizes the 'delete' click but it does not delete the field.  If I try to modify a layout, it tells me the file is not modifiable.

I have closed the files, stopped server and reopened and even restarted the FMS box and the same thing happens.  These files were copied from a backup prior to a recent server crash so I know the files are pristine (I have 'verify backup integrity' enabled).  Permissions in 'Get Info' shows I have read/write and then says 'everyone' has read only (which makes no sense to me - it should say 'everyone else').

Is this a permissions behaviour on Mac or are the files damaged?

I normally use the upload feature.  But after the crash, I copied the files from backup and copied them into Data folder (first closing FMS and deleting the prior files, of course).  It should work the same either way, shouldn't it?  I haven't completely learned Mac yet but this is the first time ever I've run into something like this.

Thank you for responding! :-)

I need to understand this more deeply ... are the files damaged?  Or does the new backup process set a permissions flag to read only?  That just wouldn't make sense to me.  I run backup every half hour and when server crashed, I looked at the timestamp in the logs and selected a backup one hour prior to the issue.  They should have been fine.

It's a Mac thing...   FMS runs as user fmserver of group fmsadmin and all FM files need to have that ownership.   When you log in as your own and you copy a backup you take ownership of the files so the user switches from fmserver to you.  And FMS does not like that because it means it does not have the rights to modify the files.

Download the utility named "BatchMod" (it's donation-ware).  And after you copy the files, select the file or the folder and reset the ownership back to how FMS likes it.

(when you upload the files through FMP, FMS takes care of this automatically)

post-57725-0-38761400-1412791273_thumb.p

• Like 1

Oh wow, thank you so much, Wim!!   I was not looking forward to re-doing the last hour's work in those files but mostly, I disliked not understanding why it happened!  Thank you again - I shall do it now!  :laugh2:

Alternatively, you could use server to close the file; send you a zipped copy; remove the file.

Then unzip the file locally; perhaps perform your mods now; use Filemaker Pro to upload it via the native upload to server feature.

This topic is 3489 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.