Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can not open my FMS

This topic is 3482 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have FMS13 on my MacBook Pro 10.9.5.  FMs is up to date in version but I can not look now because I can not open it the console.  I type this

http://localhost:16001/admin-console

and it has always opened the admin console before but not after my update and restart and I had closed it before upgrading and now I can not find the exe file to open it again.  It says the webpage can not be found.  Huh?  It is bookmarked.  On Mac, where is the icon to double-click and start FMS?  It says to double-click the admin console shortcut on desktop but I must have deleted mine.

How do I turn FileMaker Server on?  What mac extension like exe file do I look for please?  and I read Getting Started with FMS but even Adobe lost its sidebar and I can not get it back to find it even.  Tech Info was not a help either.  This is probably more a Mac question where executable files are stored.  FMs is there because I can see it but none of the extensions look clickable even.

Please help if you can even if just a hint!

The problem here is that the fmsadmin daemon has failed to start as I discovered myself a few weeks ago.

Basically any update of OS X 10.9 beyond original release kills the fmsadmin startup, although the fmserver is actually running. So admin-console is simply not listening to anything.

My only solution was to re-install the original Mavericks release and turn off system updates. As far a I know this is a known issue at FileMaker Inc.

HTH

• Like 1

On Mac, where is the icon to double-click and start FMS? 

There is none, and there is also no "exe" equivalent.  Remember that FMS consists of multiple parts and they are all background daemons (like Windows services, not applications).

To see what part of FMS is running and what is not, open "Activity Monitor", go to the CPU tab and filter the processes by typing "fms" in the quickfind field, see attached screenshot.

The screenshot is from a Mac running 10.9.5 so it works fine.

If fmserver_helperd is not part of that list then open terminal and issue this command:

sudo launchctl start com.filemaker.fms

(the pw it will ask you for is not the fms admin console pw, but your Mac account pw)

if fmserver_helperd is in the list already but you can't get the admin console to start, do this command:

fmsadmin restart adminserver

With all the relevant pieces running you can then open the admin console through:

http://localhost:16001/admin-console

or https

post-57725-0-45679100-1413723481_thumb.p

• Like 1

Hi Ideal Data, I had checked activity monitor and FMS was no longer running which is probably why admin console was not running.  Can admin console be running if FMS is not?  I will keep this in mind for future, thank you very much.

Hi Wim, that worked!  I have to say that it is not very user friendly and I am not sure if I should blame Mac or FMI.  Who in their right mind would know to do that?  I have saved those strings in case I need them again.  Thank you for saving me.  

Also can anyone tell me where Help is for the Mac itself so I can learn it?  I have searched everywhere I swear.

"Who in their right mind would know to do that?"

Well I guess YOU would Wim.   :jester:

Why is it that the last place I look is where something is?  It is in the Finder tool bar.  I thought THAT help was for finder like all the other programs when THEY are there, the Help is for THEM. Truly Finder was the last place I looked hoping its Help would tell me how to find Help for Mac.  Sometimes it is the little things.  

So Finder IS Mac, I think and not a separate program.

Not exactly.

Any help, in the menu bar of ANY app, also allows you to select general help as well as application specific help once the help window opens.

This topic is 3482 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.