Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Days of the week

biggles1212

This topic is 3465 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a calendar plugin that does a great job turning those layouts into something visual so you can see how busy a certain resource is.

What would be a great way to create records based off a master record?

For example:

The database is keeping track of a bus charter schedule. Clients call up and can hire the bus at any time however the bus may also do set routes on Monday and Wednesdays.

If I was to create a master table and entered in the information required could I somehow get a script to run that would create records for the next 3 months for every Monday and Wednesday that occurred between now and 3 months time.

Master Route:

Description: 1 Hour Scenic Tour

Dates: Monday, Wednesday

Expiry: 3 Months From Now

Do you really need all those records? Perhaps it would be sufficient to calculate a list of the dates in a field, and use that field as a multikey matchfield for the relationship to the calendar?

Note:

If there's a possibility you would want to make an exception - e.g. shift the Wednesday Nov 26 tour to Tuesday - then yes, you do need all those records. But they are still very easy to generate once you have a return-separated list of the dates. For that, see:

http://www.briandunning.com/cf/452

The reason we would create these records is because through the PHP Filemaker API we would have a website where people can book on to the scheduled bus routes. I guess similar to any Airline where you can search for available flights, select the flight and then book yourself on to the flight.

This topic is 3465 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.