Server side scripts for exporting field Contents

This topic is 2732 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Does anyone have any work around for getting at the contents of a file imported into a container field that will work using a server side script? I would like a user to import a file into a container field and have the server process the file later. Ideas?

• 1 month later...

How would that make a difference?

You would still need to answer the same question.

What are you trying to do?

Why do you think you can't to it?

I haven't found any way to export a container field server side. If you have found one that would be great. What I do with the exported file could be anything. Like I said, I need to export a container field contents on the server. 

That is too bad and what I was afraid of. Thanks. A robot machine would not be very good for what I am interested in. I was wondering if I could take advantage of external container storage as a means of gaining access to container fields.  Will have to explore what permissions I have to deal with. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Old thread, but related; 

Since Filemaker Server Side Scripts have some limitations I may have to use a client computer to do the automated stuff. 

Do you guys see any disadvantages by using a client installation on the server itself? It certainly have all the processing power it needs, and the client and server can run simultaneously, but is there any big disadvantages?

(Filemaker Server 15 and Pro Advanced 15]

Lots of disadvantages.  I would never recommend it.  The server is the cornerstone of a stable deployment.  By adding a robot role to it you are increasing the risk of having to take the server down for something that has nothing to do with FMS.  That hurts your uptime and by extension the value that your users get out of the solutions you host on that server.

This topic is 2732 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.