Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Trigger a Script from a Field Change.

This topic is 3412 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have been stumped on how to have a script trigger when a field has changed. I want the script to be able to trigger without a user entering or leaving a field (meaning it should work with the database unattended).

Here is the scenario: When a date in a date field equals today a script is triggered to send an email.

Seems like it should be pretty simple, but I have not found a solution yet. Set Script Triggers will not work because it requires a user to exit the field for the script to run.

Thanks in Advance for your Help - Sam

How is the field changed then if the user does not do it?

If it is part of a scripted workflow, let the script take care of the email sending.  You definitely do not want triggers for this.  Triggers are for handling user-level events and in your case you don't have one to handle.

An alternate approach would be to create a server-side script to find updated records and loop through them and send the email.  Then put that on a schedule.

want that end date to automatically trigger a script that sends an email 

But how?  A trigger is based on an event that the user does.

It sounds like all you need is a nightly server-side schedule that does a find and loops through the found set to send an email.

This topic is 3412 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.