Server Maintenance This Week. ×

First four of every record

This topic is 3381 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

So I want to make a value list which is the first four letters of a customer's last name.  Why?  because I want the guys to type those four letters to find a customer code.  The customer table will have a customerID but this will be used to type first character and match then type second character and match for filtering the list of customers to choose from in portal.  

If I have a value list of the four characters for all the customers then I can put a portal filter on the Dashboard portal to customers which could be like this I think

PatternCount( characters typed ; four character value list )  or similar, right?  Thank you.

If I have a value list of the four characters for all the customers then I can put a portal filter on the Dashboard portal to customers which could be like this I think

PatternCount( characters typed ; four character value list )  or similar, right?  Thank you.

If you want to have a portal filter, you can simply use

Left ( PortalTO::nameLast ; 4 ) = charactersTyped

To make this work for any length of charactersTyped, use

Left ( PortalTO::nameLast ; Length ( charactersTyped ) ) = charactersTyped

No need for any value lists (because each record is matched individually against the input field), or – since you know you're examining the first four/n letters – PatternCount().

• Like 1

Google's easier.  Seriously.  I can do a search for "filemaker (something something something)."  Top hit 99% of the top is the relevant documentation.  And the rest of the hints are good information, typically including posts in this forum.

This topic is 3381 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.