External Data Source

This topic is 3301 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am trying to do Client to Server...Server to Server syncing

FileMaker Go to FileMaker Server....FileMaker Server to MySQL

I am not understanding how to setup the external data source to get the data form the first Filemaker Server.  Is there any info on how to do this?

• Newbies

I am trying to follow this process.

Can I sync the same database server-to-server, and also server-to-client?

This is a common request - let's say you have servers in two different cities that need to sync, and then you also have users with iPads or laptops in each city that need to be able to work offline. Currently, MirrorSync does not support multiple sync configurations for a single database file. However, there is a workaround - create a separate 'shell' database for the server-to-server sync with external table occurrences linking to the tables in the main file, and then use that separate database for the server-to-server sync. For example, suppose you have a database called 'Projects' that you want to sync. Here are the steps you would take:

• Set up the projects database normally for server-to-client syncing.
  • Once the server-to-client sync is working, create a new database. You can name it whatever you want; we'll call it 'ProjectsSync' in this example.
  • In the ProjectSync database, add external table occurrences to the relationship graph - one for each table that will be synced. Do not add the 'MirrorSync' table from the Projects file - the ProjectsSync file should have its own separate copy of that table.
  • Configure your relationship graph. You only need to configure foreign-to-primary key relationships; you can skip all of the global / calculated relationships that are only used for the user interface. This is not, strictly speaking, a required step, but it will allow MirrorSync to auto-detect your relationships, and it's a good idea anyway to make sure that lookups and calculations that reference related tables will work correctly in the shell file.
  • Set up a new configuration in MirrorSync for the ProjectsSync file. Once that is done, you should be able to run the server-to-server sync normally on the ProjectsSync file, using the MirrorSync admin utility.

This is the part I am referring to...

• In the ProjectSync database, add external table occurrences to the relationship graph - one for each table that will be synced. Do not add the 'MirrorSync' table from the Projects file - the ProjectsSync file should have its own separate copy of that table.

I believe I actually have it set but I am not getting data.

Under Manage External Data Sources I added the original file that has the data I want.  Then I went to database relationships edited the link between the two versions of the same table to point one at the secondary sync table back to the original table that was selected in the External Data Source step.  Link them on my primary key.  

The problem is between original table and the secondary sync table.  The data is not moving to the sync table.

Hope this makes sense.

• Newbies

Hope this isn't a stupid question, but why have two servers in two cities? Surely geographic location is not relevant in today's world.

We do not have two servers in two cities. We have an iPad talking to FileMaker Server...I need the FileMaker Server database to be copied to a MySQL database.

The main purpose is to have data backup...also reporting and such.

• Newbies

Is there anyone that can help me with this?  I think it have it setup correctly.  I hit the sync button it acts like it is syncing but it does not bring any data from the external data source tables.

• 2 months later...

aellis - I'm sorry, but I'm just seeing this post for the first time. For some reason I did not get an e-mail notification like I usually do; maybe because the post was moved here from another forum.

We'll need more details to solve the problem - I think that this would be best solved over a screen sharing session. If you can call us at 866-662-9185, we'll be happy to take a look at the situation with you.

This topic is 3301 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.