Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Sync-ing without Network

This topic is 3136 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I encountered a “problem” (maybe not a problem) with MirrorSync.

I followed the steps to configure and the file is downloaded and sent to the iPad. When the iPad is connected to the network, I click on the “self-made” Sync button, data is synchronised and all processed smoothly.

But when the iPad is not connected to the network and if I press the self-made Sync button, the MirrorSync will try indefinitely and nothing will happen. The screen remains as the MirrorSync (purple) screen with 5 tabs on it.

If I manage (with luck) to cancel the process, I am stuck in this MirrorSync screen and unable to return to my original layout before the sync button is pressed.

Is there a way to prevent user to start the sync process if there is no network. Apologise that I have not finished reading all the documentation.

I tested a similar situation, where I downloaded a test database to my iPhone and turned on airplane mode then tried to sync. The sync immediately failed with the "Could not contact the server to sync" error message. In your situation I would expect you to get that message immediately or after a timeout period. How long did you wait before canceling the sync? I would expect the sync to eventually fail with some error message. Also, I'm unfamiliar with MirrorSync getting stuck as you describe it. Can you not change the layout, or perform any other actions?

As far as preventing the user from starting the sync process, it would be fairly simple to create a script that tested the connection to the server before then calling the MirrorSync script. For example, you could call the Insert From URL script step on http://yourserverhostname/MirrorSync/syncand test to see if that resulted in the expected message, which is "MirrorSync is up and running. However, only the MirrorSync script should call this URL."

It might take up to 60 seconds for the sync to fail, depending on what kind of network environment you're in. FileMaker's insert from URL command, which MirrorSync uses, has a non-configurable 60 second timeout.

<p>Let me try again. The iPad is not connected to any network (looking at the top left corner of my iPad). Login to the local solution (the file located on my local device). Click the SYNC button, MirrorSync Sync In Progress prompted me to login, enter password and click OK. Status initialising..... (stale).... Below the word Initialising are two buttons, namely : Sync Now and Abort Sync. The Abort Sync button is bright red coloured, so I assume it is clickable. I click on it, nothing happen. Status is still showing Initialising. I have to click repeatedly on the top left corner to bring out the FM GO context menu : Home, Windows, Current Windows. I also notice the status change to Establishing contact with MirrorSync server external address. Again it is stale, not moving. Try to click the FM GO top left button again, this time I click on Windows. Now the status begin to change and the message move from internal to external and internal to external. Trying to establish. So I waited for 60 seconds. Nothing change after 60 seconds. The status is still showing &quot;establishing contact with mirror sync server (ex)internal address&quot;. Click on the Abort SYNC does not do anything. And the entire process repeat. If I click fast enough (tabbing on the iPad screen), I can bring up the STOP Execution step to terminate the script and I can visit all the 5 tabs, namely : Sync, User Info, Internal, Debugging and Help. At this moment, I have no choice, but to click on top right corner and select a layout to return to my app.</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>When I return to my own layout, the heading still show &quot;MirrorSync Sync In Progress&quot;.</p>

James, we determined this to be a bug in the MirrorSync script where if neither the external nor internal IP addresses are accessible, we'd be caught in an infinite loop continuously trying one then the other. This is fixed in our development code base, and will be fixed in the next release. If you (or any other reader) are interested in getting a development build before that release, please contact me privately. 

• 5 months later...

Not sure it's totally fixed because one user was stuck on the Sync layout today. (version 2.40614).

I think he changed network while syncing (not totally sure)

Even after a phone reboot , the sync layout was automatically reopened The Abort button looked disabled so there was no way to get out of the layout.

The only solution was to make a backup of the db, delete it on the iphone and retransfer it on the phone...so it would not load the sync layout at startup.

Edited by sfpx

• 4 weeks later...

This topic is 3136 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.