Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Changing FM dialog title

Morenomdz

This topic is 3322 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello there, just started learning FM trying to build a working DB to my store, one issue I am having is I dont want it to automaticaly save the record, so I've made a button to save the new record and go back to the "main" layout, so FM will pop a dialog windows asking if you want to save, cancel or go delete, what I need to change is that dialog window, it says "FileMaker Pro".

I just want to change that text or remove it completely. Is it possible?

Thank you very much!

You cannot change the text or appearance of the built-in dialogs (unless you hack the application, which I would not recommend - and even then it would only work on that one system).

You can - if you are willing to put in the extra work - show your own custom dialog, by triggering a script OnRecordCommit and having the script handle the entire event, including the interaction with the user.

Why is this important?

Trying to learn the system, I did try to make some custom dialog but the only options I found were the pre made ones and I wasnt able to find where to commit the record when clicking one of the options of the custom dialog, couldnt find an option that openned a custom dialog where I have two scripted buttons, one to save and one to cancel.

It is a bit important that I am sure I understand every step of the process as if something goes wrong I want to make sure I know where it is fast enough.

Thanks.

couldnt find an option that openned a custom dialog where I have two scripted buttons, one to save and one to cancel.

On a custom dialog you can define up to 3 buttons.  So you can label one "save" and the other "cancel",

Then in your script use the get(lastmessagechoice) function to detect what choice the user has made and branch accordingly.

Another option is not use the "Show Custom Dialog" script step but use the "New Window' script step and use the modal option.  Then you have full control over what you put on the layout and how it looks.

...and ANOTHER option is to use a popover and global fields. It would be helpful to describe the use case more completely, then we can better recommend a technique.

On a custom dialog you can define up to 3 buttons.  So you can label one "save" and the other "cancel",

Then in your script use the get(lastmessagechoice) function to detect what choice the user has made and branch accordingly.

Another option is not use the "Show Custom Dialog" script step but use the "New Window' script step and use the modal option.  Then you have full control over what you put on the layout and how it looks.

I will look and try the ways you described thanks.

...and ANOTHER option is to use a popover and global fields. It would be helpful to describe the use case more completely, then we can better recommend a technique.

These are service orders waiting aproval, when a client call us and aprove, or not, I want it to be aproved one time and no one be able to easily change the record without my permission. Mostly is me trying to figure out how to make something in FM, headbashing until I understand what to do! ><

This topic is 3322 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.