A Simple Registration Code Scheme

This topic is 3292 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Many years ago I wrote an article for Clarion Magazine on creating a simple registration code generator and validator using Clarion. As I'm getting closer to thinking about building a few smaller solutions and distributing them as runtimes, I wanted to translate the code to Filemaker.

It is a very basic code scheme and can certainly use some enhancements. I plan one putting a lot more work into it be using it. I thought that it might be a good start for anyone else looking into it.

I put the file in a public folder on my Google Drive the link is: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByyiDIpmElpyTWExdmlGdkRmb1k&authuser=0

Is this a software registration code? 

It looks to me like it is generating a code based on the first 10 letters of the Registration Name. Is that wise?   It fails if someone has a shorter name (e.g. Jim Smith), and it is not unique if two people have names that start off the same way:  (Jim Roberts and Jim Robertson).  

I would think that you would want to create a unique code regardless of the name of the individual, and you would want individuals to be able to register more than once if they purchased new products. 

Edited by Matthew F

This topic is 3292 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.