Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Stop dreaded 'no records are present' message

LaRetta

This topic is 3285 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I know you all know what I am talking about ... it is when there are no records being displayed on a layout (whether in Form, List or Table view) and someone accidentally clicks onto the layout ... please see attached the ridiculous message they receive.

It has not been a problem until more recently since I have begun to present Users with 0-found-count record layouts so as to eliminate needless fetch and network traffic.  These 0-found-count layouts are great.  The User is asked (in whatever fashion needed depending upon the table presented) to select criteria to restrict the records returned (perform a find).  However, I am not keen on leaving a layout in Find Mode upon entering the layout ... I would rather the User be in Browse mode so they initiate the search after entering all their requirements into the fields.

So regardless whether I will use it in every case, is there any way to stop this dreaded message?  I've tried triggers and web viewers and Hide and layout keystroke triggers and I have failed on all accounts.  Tricks?  Are there any tricks others have discovered?  :-)

Annoying_Message.png

Edited by LaRetta

someone accidentally clicks onto the layout ... please see attached the ridiculous message they receive.

​I get this message only when I click into a field. A non-global field, in fact.

I would rather the User be in Browse mode so they initiate the search after entering all their requirements into the fields.

​OK, that's confusing.

Yes, that was confusing; it was very late.  :-)

For me, the message is produced even if the fields are global or if there are NO fields on the layout at all - it happens when clicking into the body.  And in list view, the body is the entire page below the header so it is a large empty bullseye.  But form view is same problem.

When User selects 'Client List' from elsewhere, they wish to find a set of records.  It is a list view with client name, address, phone.  Many times there are pre-defined buttons in the popover on the Client List, such as:  Find My Clients, or Find Overdue or Find New and a 'Custom Find' which enters find mode so they can enter multiple criteria directly into the fields.  This is why I prefer them landing on this list in Browse mode.

Once they find the Clients they wish, the list allows them actions, to omit record, sort, export ... but they can NOT change data in the fields - it is history data.  But even unchecking Field Entry 'in browse mode' or using Hide, the message appears.

When they land on the list layout, there are no field borders even, because there are no records.  If they accidentally click into the body, the message appears.  We do NOT want them to "choose the New Record command" as the message tells them to do.   The fact that FM will not allow us to control that message is confusing.

I originally had it enter find mode when entering the layout and used an OnLayoutExit trigger of 'Enter Browse Mode' in case they choose to leave instead.  Maybe that is the best option.  I can change the other button scripts a bit.  But still, that message makes an assumption which it should not make.  

And I can find no way to stop it from appearing.

Is it just me, or did all links and images disappear in this forum?

Edited by LaRetta

For me, the message is produced even if the fields are global or if there are NO fields on the layout at all - it happens when clicking into the body.  And in list view, the body is the entire page below the header so it is a large empty bullseye.  But form view is same problem.

Well, that's weird. Are you sure there isn't something else at play? I don't think this behavior has changed since v.11. Easy to find out, though: can you reproduce the issue in a brand new file?

Is it just me, or did all links and images disappear in this forum?

http://fmforums.com/forums/topic/95902-site-update/

Edited by comment

Yes, I can reproduce.  I can also reproduce in version 11 file (please see attached).  Try clicking anywhere below the line (header).  

Maybe I am not explaining the issue very well.  I want zero records in browse mode and to eliminate that message.  A User will think that is what we want them to do and it is not.

test2.fp7.zip

I could have sworn I've gotten message in form view also so I just tried again.  I CAN make the message appear ...

switch to form view and click into the global field then immediately DOUBLE-click into the regular field.  It bothers me but I guess designing around the issue is my only option.

Thank you for reviewing it with me. :-)

Ah, it also does it (on form view) if the field/s are calculations.  I just considered switching to form view to stop it from happening, but there are calculations City/State/Zip etc. so that wouldn't work either.

Edited by LaRetta

In Form view, I only get the message if I click into a non-global field (calculation or not). In List view, the message comes up if I click anywhere in the body AREA (i.e. the gap between footer an header, where the body of any found records would have been displayed). I don't think there;s anything you can do about that. Certainly not by placing anything on the layout within the body part - since no layout objects within the body part are shown in this situation.

• Like 1

This topic is 3285 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.