Sending E-Mail

This topic is 8404 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have been messing with this for a long time now... I get the form to enter the data to the database via the -Edit command. Then on the format page, I have the following form to send an E-mail:

<FORM ACTION="FMPro" METHOD="post">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-DB" VALUE="students.fm4">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-format" VALUE="search_results.htm">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-MailTo" VALUE="[email protected]">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-MailFrom" VALUE="[email protected]">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-MailSub" VALUE="Chapter 12 Completed">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-MailHost" VALUE="mail.pacbell.net">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-MailFormat" VALUE="chapt12.txt">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-Op" VALUE=eq>

<INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=Name VALUE="[FMP-Field:Name]">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-LOP" VALUE=AND>

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-Op" VALUE=eq>

<INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME="SS Number" VALUE="[FMP-Field:SS Number]">

<INPUT TYPE="submit" NAME="-Find" VALUE="Thank You. Click To Continue.">

</FORM>

What am I missing? I have also tried to add the above "Mail" tags to the -Edit Page, and still no E-mail... The text file currently is just plain text. Any Help? Thanks!

<FORM ACTION="FMPro" METHOD="post">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-DB" VALUE="students.fm4">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-format" VALUE="search_results.htm">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-MailTo" VALUE="[email protected]">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-MailFrom" VALUE="[email protected]">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-MailSub" VALUE="Chapter 12 Completed">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-MailHost" VALUE="mail.pacbell.net">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-mailformat" VALUE="mail.txt">

</FORM>

You don't need the '-Find' unless you are first finding a specific record to send the mail from/to. In that case, execute the find first.

Rgds, Partha

Forgot to mention that the "FMPro" in the Form Action is the action for the form. It tells FileMaker to execute whatever CDML commands you embed in the HTML - in this case the mail commands.

You only beed -Find, or -New or -Edit when you are running a record finding, editing or creating command,

Otherwise the rest of the CDML has the parameters for FileMaker to execute.

Rgds, Partha

I cut and paste the tags you posted, and still no E-mail.... When I look in the FMP log, it does not show it sent it.. Should the log reflect this? I do not know if it makes a differance, but I am using FileMaker Pro 4.0v3 and Web Com 4.0v3 as well....

Hi,

Few questions.

1. The value I've used for my Submit button is <INPUT TYPE="submit" NAME="-Find" VALUE="Send Mail">. What have you used here.

2. Does the SMTP server you listed (pacbell) allow mail sending from a host account other than a Pacbell account ? A lot of ISP's don't.

3. How are you creating/saving the mail data the user types in ? I guess you're not creating a new record in the student file every time, but you haven't mentioned ant other file.

4. Could you update your Web Companion from the Filemaker site.

Rgds, Partha

Okay... Finally! It is something with the PacBell mail server... I am a Pacbell DSL customer, but I changed the mail server to the server for my dial up account (and dialed up) and it is working!! Thanks for all the help with the problem...

It was said I should upgrade the Web Comp, but on Filemaker's site 4.0v3 seems to be the latest for 4.x...

The other thing I am not too sure about is the -MailFmtField command... I guess you can use that in place of a text file for the body of the message? I tried to put that in place of the -MailFormat tag, and it got an error in the log.... Is this a 5.x command only? Thanks again for all the help!!

Shawn

I tried the -MailFmtField command with both FMP4 and 5, but both gave me an error, so I just used the easy way and used the -MailFormat command!

Actually, I'm on a rather tight schedule, and am postponing all the R&D for later when stage 1 of my project is thru.

Rgds, Partha

This topic is 8404 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.