Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Vector based draw objects

Jarvis

This topic is 3266 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have no idea where to put this question so I thought I would start here.  If it should be somewhere else please advise.

I have a database that relies on graphics similar to the attached file.  In one particular container field I have 36 separate graphic representations that need to show up conditionally.  I would like, if possible, to generate these the most efficient way possible with least amount of weight for optimizing i-pad, web-direct etc.

Right now the images are produced in a CAD drawing and pasted as a bit-mapped image into the container field.  The images are not particularly great looking when zoomed and start out with more intrinsic weight than necessary.   I would like to produce these as vector based objects but can't can't produce the mitered  45º corner that is on some of the images.

Is there a way to produce these drawings natively within filemaker  and would there be any performance improvements if I did so?

Is there another type of file I should be starting with rather than a CAD based drawing program?

database drawings.jpg

HI Jarvis,  

I'm not 100% clear on whether these are part of record data (i.e., a table or tables with one or more container fields that store different graphics for each record in the table), or part of your UI, but, reading between the lines, I think you meant the latter.  Assuming that, there are a couple options.

If you're using FileMaker 14 — you posted in the 14 forum, but your profile still says "FileMaker 13 Advanced" — you could use the new icon-based button label feature, and insert your vector graphics there (as SVGs).  The buttons don't have to do anything, of course, other than provide a convenient container for placing vector graphics on the layouts.  Unfortunately, button icons cannot currently be changed by calculation, but you could certainly use calcs for conditional visibility.  Furthermore, you could leverage the new button bar and show/hide individual segments by calculation.  That might be the lightest weight approach from a performance standpoint over the network.

Another option is that, even in 13 you can place resolution-independent SVG graphics directly on your layout, sans container field, button, or anything else, then use conditional visibility calcs to show/hide each.

I'd presume that your CAD application can output SVG (scalable vector graphic) files, but you might want to look into the inexpensive yet highly capable Sketch application from Bohemian Coding.  It is highly tuned for producing SVG (or PNG) icons for use in UI and web design.  May be just what the doctor ordered.

hth,

Mark

You can place vector images inside container fields - with some limitations, see:

http://fmforums.com/forums/topic/60034-blurry-graphics/?do=findComment&comment=285092

http://fmforums.com/forums/topic/90581-is-nothing-cheaper-than-something/?do=findComment&comment=417113

I would use a dedicated drawing/CAD program to produce them, though - unless you are a whiz at writing SVG by hand.

Edited by comment

Thanks a lot guys!  This has been really helpful.

I downloaded a copy of the Sketch Application.  It sure is priced right and seems very intuitive.

The forums topic 90581 was fascinating stuff.  Thanks for the link Comment.

This topic is 3266 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.