Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Any examples of muli-user singular global fields?

This topic is 3239 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to make a few sets of images within a global container, but If I updated them, my other users will still see the old images. How can I easily correct this? I've been just updated them offline and re-uploading them back to the server to fix this, but it's not ideal. 

Learn about globals in FileMaker.

By there very nature they are local to each session only.

Globals fields will retain the last value in them when the file is opened locally.

Set global text field named "data" to "abc" locally. close the file. Open in on server and "abc" is still in global text field named "data". This applies to any global field regardless of data type.

If your trying to share a common set of images you could use an images table with NON GLOBAL container fields.

More details on what your trying to accomplish will allow the community to make more precise recommendations.

Edited by Kris M

I am using an ImageField (Container) with a Calculation to set itself based on what was selected prior...

Projects::ImageNoneGeneric, Projects::ImageNoneJerseys, Projects::ImageNonePants are the Global Container fields.

I would like to be able to change these images in the future to all my users. I am not trying to change the image once its been designated.

Case (

//Racewear
Categories::Name = "Racewear" and IsEmpty(CategoriesSub::Name) ; Projects::ImageNoneGeneric ; 
Categories::Name = "Racewear" and CategoriesSub::Name = "Jerseys" ; Projects::ImageNoneJerseys ;
Categories::Name = "Racewear" and CategoriesSub::Name = "Pants" ; Projects::ImageNonePants ;

)

if user A causes the calculation to return img1.jpg and the calculation result put into a global container field no other users will see the change. User A is the only user that will see the change. This is the nature of globals.

If you want the result of the calculation to be seen by all users you can't use a global field.

Perhaps make a utility table with a non global container field and manipulate that field with a script that runs on first window open that sets the proper image?

As i said before need more details to provide an appropriate solution as their are many ways to slice and dice this problem

Edited by Kris M

The calculation is not within a global field, its placed inside a regular container. It's replacing itself with an image from a global container which is defined by whatever preconditions within the Case (this works perfect). If I updated these global fields offline, they will populate to all users. If I change this global field online, the user retains the original image and not the new one. I am referring to adding new images. Of course the image that was already pulled from the global field is already set, this is not my concern.

Edited by shredded

Listen to Kris M. You're on the wrong track with globals, and you don't need to do all the download/mod/upload routine.

Create table that stores the actual image(s). It is common to use a single record preference table for this purpose, but you may have other needs, and we don't really know what they are. (As stated by Kris M)

It is possible you may still want to use globals to display to the user. But use a startup script to populate the global from the preference table. 

You can not use globals as the data definition for Projects::ImageNoneGeneric et al and expect this to work easily.

Whether your destination calculation field is an autoenter calc or a calc data type will also make a difference in how to solve the problem.

Perhaps you should post the file so we can show you possible solutions

Edited by Kris M

This topic is 3239 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.