Web Direct Server machine

This topic is 3226 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,  i am very new to web direct  and i don't know much about hardware stuff - specially web server, etc...

my questions is what do i need to host a fmp file through web direct ? - hardware wise.

i have an fixed ip address & domain name.

also i know what kind of server machine i need.

do i need any other computer ?  or only one server machine will do the job ?

thanks,

mike

Your profile shows you are on FM 11 advanced and Windows XP. These are not compatible with Web Direct. However if your profile is out of sync then FM13/14 webdirect requirements are here.

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-server/server-13-specifications.html

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14401/~/system-requirements-for-filemaker-server-14

Your deployment choices should be driven by the amount of concurrent connections you anticipate.

I would plan for a two server (FMS on one and WEB Publishing Engine on another) deployment if you anticipate having anymore than 6 concurrent connections.

Edited by Kris M

Thanks, Kris.

i also use window7.

i would say i would have either under 50 users or 100 users.

do you recommand buy cpu 8 core & ram 8 gb ?

Should i buy a web publishing machine same spec as fms server ?

also if i buy a server machine , does it come with window server os ? - eg, window 2012, etc...

and what i should do with web publishing server ?   just networking it to fms server ?

do you know any manual to learn how to connect from fms server to web server , etc... ?

thanks,

mike

FileMaker 14 installation guide is your best place to start.

CH 3 speaks about dual machine deployments.

You need to understand the differences between total user population and concurrent connections. Also look into exactly what concurrent connections mean for WebDirect solutions.

FMS and WD machines do not need to be identically configured.

If your WedDirect component is the one most significant to the business then i would max it out and let the FMS machine be the lesser.

Server machines may or may not come with operating systems. Read the product descriptions before buying.

Edited by Kris M

Hi, Kris.    i have one more question.

what about filemaker go option ?

what is the main difference between these 2 ?

i know for filemaker go , i need to design the layout specifically fit to i-phone or i-pad.

it is same i access to fmp file through web browser ?

which one is better ? - i mean budget wise.

for web direct , it costs a lot for small use.

any thoughts ?

mike

FM Go is a completely different deployment option than WebDirect, so make sure you are completely clear about those differences.

FM Go only works on iOS devices where the FM Go app is installed.  WebDriect will work on all desktops, iOS devices and Android devices where supported.

Also: make sure you are clear about the minimum server requirements for WebDirect:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-server/server-14-specifications.html

Remember that you should very carefully examine your solution against those minimum requirements to make sure you get exactly the performance that you are after.

+1 for what Wim said. 

Desktop, Go for IPad, Go for iPhone, and WebDirect solutions are different beasts and you should consider developing distinct solutions for each platform. That means that the data seperation model needs to become your best friend. I would not recommend a single file that tries to encompass all deployment platforms but that's just me. WebDirect is such a different animal that it warrants its own distinct file. You really need to experience the ins and outs of each platform on your own by developing a solution for each or really diving into the starter solutions to see how FMI has solved the disparate deployment platforms.

Edited by Kris M

This topic is 3226 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.