Quick Join Table Question

Rich S

This topic is 3252 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Greets, all.

I want to create a join table for a many-to-many relationship (teachers - students), but it's between two files. Does it make a difference which file has the join table or no? On the surface, I don't think it does but me being intellectually-challenged, I could be wrong. Thanks in advance for your replies!

Ideally, ALL interface should take place in a single file.  It does not matter otherwise.  If you have most of your layouts in the Teachers file (for example) then you simply add a file reference and table occurrence of the Students file/table in it and you are set.  :-)

Edited by LaRetta

I think you mean the join table is to exist between two tables, each being from a different file. That doesn't matter. Define the join table in the context of the file that's relevant.

Hi Rick,

If a representation of the Students table does not exist in Teachers file, no newly created join table can connect to it there and the reverse is also true.  So I said it as I meant it, but I appreciate you questioning it further.

We can place a file reference (and resulting table occurrence of any table) in any file to use however we wish ... the question is ... which file should hold the UI for the TOG ( table occurrence group ) of:

Teachers -< Classes >- Students

My answer is ... In the ideal world, only ONE file should hold all UI layouts, scripts and functionality but I realize there are times we inherit files with UI elements in both which is why I said, "for example" since I don't know Rich's files.  :-)

Edited by LaRetta
bolded "UI for the TOG"

It's a good thing you don't know those files, LaRetta--the Student Information System (SIS) I inherited when I took the job is a royal mess! In fact, it's so bad that I'm going to start from scratch and re-code everything; realistically, it's going to take a year, possibly two.

Yes, Students and Teachers are in separate files.

(Doing much riding, lately?)

This topic is 3252 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.