Relationship link

This topic is 3225 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I don't have a good grasp on the relationships but kinda see how they work from what I've been playing with on my filemaker.  I've used the lookup function to get by before but it's not working for what I need this time.  I'm trying to make my work order system show us if there is a report# associated with it.  Is there anyway i could get some help on how this works.  This report layout was created after most of the other layouts so I don't think something has the relationship working correctly. 

Is there anyway i could get some help on how this works. 

Quite possibly, if you describe your existing solution in detail, and say what you want it to be able to do.

I've got a database that we use for production.  Each record has it's own work order number with detailed information on the process.  We have another database called NCMR that we created for any work order issues.  It also has it's own number but it also uses the work order number in this database.  I would like my production database to tell me if we have an NCMR. 

The WORK_ORDER should have a unique work_order_id as the PRIMARY KEY.

The NCMR table should have not only a unique ncmr_id as the PRIMARY KEY, but also the work_order_id as a FOREIGN KEY.

If you do not already have it, define a relationship WORK_ORDER::work_order_id = NCMR ::work_order_id

To FLAG if there is a NCMR item for the work_order, define a field in the OWRK_ORDER table called:

ncmr_flag = (Calculation, Number Result) = If(Count(NCMR ::work_order_id) <> 0, 1, "")

Hope this helps!

If(Count(NCMR ::work_order_id) <> 0, 1, "")

not IsEmpty ( NCMR::work_order_id ) ?

If such a field is even necessary depends on what this

I would like my production database to tell me if we have an NCMR. 

exactly means, and in which context; maybe it's sufficient to simply display one / all of the related NCMR records.

Edited by eos

This topic is 3225 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.