Applying Payments to an Invoice?

This topic is 3164 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Took a quick browse of the solution - nice starting point for free.

As far as I can see, there is no payment module (please correct if I am wrong). Definitely an enhancement needed.

BTW... if you attempt to add it, I would consider a tweak in the data model so that the invoice table becomes a transaction table, thus allowing for LEDGER functionality to be displayed at the contact level.  So in the transaction table would be DEBITS (invoices) and CREDITS (payments).

Hope the makes sense and good luck!

Another idea, if you want to keep the invoice and payment table separate, is to introduce a transaction table.

Attached is a sample file I whipped up. It has Customer, Transactions (for ledger), Invoice, Payment, Product, and Inventory modules.

Tear it apart carefully to see how it all works.

inv_pmts.zip

• Like 1

Hey Scott,

When i was cleaning this file up, I realized that there was missing layout references in the scripting. Attached is new version with a few needed bug fixes.

Good luck!

inv_pmts_v2.zip

Edited by dwdata

Don:

Thank you very much for this. It was very generous and helpful. I will be studying your file - especially the relationship graph.

How the heck did you do that so quickly?

Thanks again.  I'm sure it will help.

Scott

Depending on the requirements, there are a few things that can be added and that are fairly typical:

- ability to allocate a payment to a specific invoice line item

- apply a payment across multiple invoices

- when you start doing that you may need to update the status or a balance on the invoice line item and or invoice

- that's where you stray into a fully transactional scheme where the clicking the "allocate" needs to work for everything or nothing all.  Check Todd Geist's Transactions demo on www.modularfilemaker.org

Wim:

I understand.

My question was specifically about FMSP. One of the layouts shows a field for "Remaining Balance" but I couldn't find where Payments were entered. I assume it's there but I sure couldn't find it.

Thanks for the link to Todd Geist's Transactions demo.

Scott

Hey Wim,

Long time ;o)

My demo covers:

- Allowing one payment to cover all or partial of one or more invoices.

- Allows the ability to pay all or partial of another customer's one or more invoice (Filter)

Just the basics in my demo - did not have a ton of time to go too deep.

Thanks!

Hey Scott,

On the invoice Module in FM Starting Point, under the "Summary Info" tab, there is a Field Named Status, The default status is Active, and all you need to do is change it to paid for full payments and Starting Point will fill in the information.

For Partial Payment Support, you will need to enter Layout Mode, and scroll to the left a bit, there is a whole portal there for you to add partial payments to your invoice. It is already set up, and there are instructions beneath it. All you need to do is drag it on the Layout wherever you would like it. We suggest the "Payment Info" Tab. See Below for Screenshots.

Partial Payments:

Screen_Shot_2015-07-20_at_11_53_10_AM.thScreen_Shot_2015-07-20_at_11_53_10_AM.th

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 3164 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.