Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Do offscreen calc fields calculate?

kfutter

This topic is 3210 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone,

I've have couple of calculation fields on a list layout that I suspect might be causing some performance issues. I've moved them off the visible portion of the layout so that they don't display in browse mode, only layout mode. My question is, will those fields still be calculated? I'm hoping not, otherwise it's a pointless test.

Kev

As far as I'm aware, any layout can have an invisible portion that only reveals itself in layout mode. Just drag the divider to set the width of your layout, and any elements to the right of it are invisible in browse mode. And hopefully inactive! See the screenshot below:

Screen_Shot_2015-07-23_at_12.21.25_pm.th

The two fields (red and green) in the grey paddock are not visible in browse mode. These are the two calculation fields that I speak of, which I hope will not calculate if they're not visible - ostensibly, they shouldn't be part of the active layout at all.

Kev

Edited by kfutter

Ah, I was unclear what you meant also.

For them to calculate, at least a px of them must reside within the layout.  If completely off screen, they will not evaluate. Many times you'll see examples where an object is just within the layout - not enough to select, but enough to evaluate.

Hi Kevn,

I don't know if it has an official name; I've always considered it the inactive portion.  Your question was fine and the reason I was unclear on what you meant is that you said, 'moved them off the visible portion of the layout' which could include tab panels (except front), hide objects, popovers, and sliders (except front) are considered offscreen, inactive or hidden as well.

What is that 'offscreen' layout area officially called?

I guess it's called "the gray area to the right of the layout":
http://www.filemaker.com/help/14/fmp/en/html/create_layout.9.16.html

BTW, just to make sure: these are unstored calculations we're speaking of here? Keep in mind that an unstored calculation field will be re-evaluated, despite being invisible, if you reference it in any way.

I guess it's called "the gray area to the right of the layout":
http://www.filemaker.com/help/14/fmp/en/html/create_layout.9.16.html

BTW, just to make sure: these are unstored calculations we're speaking of here? Keep in mind that an unstored calculation field will be re-evaluated, despite being invisible, if you reference it in any way.

Yep, unstored calculations. So they will be evaluated despite being 'off layout', so to speak? I can delete them from the layout completely, but due to having some conditional formatting and whatnot that I'd rather not have to recreate, I hoped removing them from the display area would be sufficient. Only one way to be sure, I guess...

Kev

Edited by kfutter

I can delete them from the layout completely,

I am not sure I made my point clear enough. An unstored calculation is evaluated only when needed. If it's not needed in order to draw a window (notice I said window, not layout), then it will not be evaluated when that window is refreshed. OTOH, if it is needed for another purpose - e.g. it is referenced in a script - then it will be evaluated whenever that script runs, whether you remove it from the layout or not.

Understood, thanks. I should be in the clear then, I think - but I'll double-check to make sure. The script involved only performs a find and changes layout. The two calculation fields derive totals related to each record, but are themselves not referenced by any script that I'm aware of. The way they are derived is problematic, however, and I suspect they're having a serious impact on performance when this layout is accessed, which is why I want to take them out of the equation for testing.

Kev

Well, I'm happy to report success on both counts. Firstly the off-layout calc fields obviously did not evaluate, as my performance issues (ahem) went away pretty much completely after making the change. Happy Dance!

Kev

This topic is 3210 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.