Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Database wide menu

This topic is 3185 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Guys,

Looking for some opinions and ideas. Attached screenshot is the interface I am designing. The idea is that I have a menu bar on each layout that contains all the content I need in the menu for every layout. Some content may not be displayed (ie a print button) but should nevertheless be available in the design.

As the screenshot shows, I have a menu on the left, which is intended to provide quick access to main modules (ie customers, reports, etc). The menu on the right is a "my accounts" kinda thing where the logged on user will be able to do things specific to that user, ie timesheets, kpi's, change password, etc.

My problem is that while I can make the menu's dynamic by using a portal (both menus display the same table just filtered differently), this means I need different TO's for each layout, and therefore end up changing the menubar for every layout. Granted, once the layout is created and menubar changed, I don't need to touch it anymore.

The only way not having to do this (afaik) is to make the menu table the heart of every module, so that everything is linked together. That's not really a scenario I want to work towards. This is not exactly a small DB nor a very well designed one (disclaimer, I didn't design it, I'm cleaning up someone elses mess, one little step at a time)

Does anyone have an idea how I can create a dynamic menu, without a TO for every layout? I'm still developing in FMv13 at the moment, though the server is already running v14. Haven't had a change to upgrade the workstations yet. So if there's functionality in v14 that can help me out, please do tell me.

If you have a different idea how to do a system wide menu, I'm all ears. I know I can create a custom text menu, for FM, but I want something pretty.

In case you're wondering, the cog in the screenshot is for system configuration stuff (and there's lots), and the question mark is for layout specific help. I've got that covered using executesql. But unfortunately, I haven't found a way to use executesql to populate a portal.

Cheers!2015-08-12_18_48_24-Untitled_-_paint.net

You might wish to watch this video:

Selector-Connector

It shows how you can provide functionality through a solution more easily.  It can be used in versions prior to 14 and it doesn't all need to be used - only what you need, such as connecting an Admin table or Menus table everywhere.  It can be utilized in conjunction with what you have now - not replace it.

• Like 1

Hi LaRetta,

Thanks for providing that link, very educational. That's pretty much the approach I described as 'making the menu the heart of the system'.

I was reluctant going down that route for a few reasons. One is the TO structure in my inherited DB. See attached screenshot. That's only part of the ERD. The original DB was a FM Starting Point DB, and heavily modified by a previous admin. Not in a good way though. What you see on the right is what's left of the old DB, and whats on the left is what I'm working towards. I've broken down as much as I can into smaller more easily understandable groups. I only first encountered FileMaker 2 years ago when I started this job, and took over development from an external contracted developer a year ago. I now see what I did in the beginning and scratch my head, now knowing I would have better done that different. But that's the learning curve.

I can see how Selector-Connector works and can reduce complexity. But I guess I'll need to build that slowly into my DB.

Again, thank you for pointing me to that video!

55cbd7d289c3e_2015-08-13_08_32_59-Manage

This topic is 3185 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.