Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Serial Number Gotchas

This topic is 8010 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This one more reason to use calculated values instead of serail auto enters:

I'm employed full time doing misc FileMaker projets. I have one that is a invoicing system for a mail order dept. It has the basic invoice with lineitem database. Every week or so i have to do an update to fix-and-add :. In both the mentioned databases I use auto-entered serial numbers for the IDs. The way I do my work is to have my own copy of the databases on my computer, and another running on the server. I work on the copies on my computer and then import the current records from the active databases and put that copy on the server.

Even though I have the ID set to be unique, the copy I had on my computer is behind on the serial because it wasn't in use. Next thing you know, new invoices have line items from older invoices and pure choas insues.

So use auto-enter calcs instead!

No need to throw the baby out with the bath water!

In my process for updating databases (including restorations etc) I simply include these steps:

1) Go to Define Fields and write down what the next serial number will be.

<n steps>

n+1) Go to Define Fields and enter the next serial number determined in step 1.

Do this for every database that uses auto-entered serial numbers.

True, I've been doing that, but once I forgot for one of the databaes (the system has around 16; half of them using serials) and all hell broke loose, since users just created new records till the alien line items don't show up and then don't tell you about it.

Hello Eric,

I haven't tried this, but here's an idea:

Assuming you use a 'Prefs' file to keep user & system preferences. Create a script that will capture the 'highest' serial number from ALL files and store into the 'Prefs' file.

You could have this script run (unknowingly) when a user performs a script or clicks a button. You could also have this script perform when the file is closed. Or, you could have this script perform before you do file 'maintanence'. Or...

Hope the idea helps...

Bob

This topic is 8010 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.