Copy field contents as a URL

This topic is 3245 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a products database containing a "link" (text field) to a specific product on our website. At the end of a customer service phone call, I would like to be able to click a button and have the contents of an email message from three other (text) fields and the "link" copied to the clipboard. This information has to be pasted into another application, which sends the message, and records the notes of the customer service call. I cannot send the message from FileMaker, it has to be copied and pasted ...

The problem lies in making the "link" field into a working URL. Currently the product link is saved as text in a field. The email format is divided into three text fields: ("Thanks ... item:");  ("If you ... Regards,"); and ("Rick" - the rep's name). I have created a calculation field that combines everything, but the web link is not clickable when pasted into the other application. Ideally, the product's name would be clickable, opening the "link" field info in a browser, without showing the URL.

Any suggestions? Could this be done with an Applescript? We are only using iMac computers, running Yosemite (10.10.5). Everyone will be upgraded to El Capitan as soon as it releases.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Rick

Message format:

Thanks for contacting customer support today. Based on the reason your call, we feel you would be interested in this item:

Widget 1000  (http://www.website.com/product_id?10000)

If you have any questions, or would like to place an order, please contact me.

Regards,

Rick

It's possible to copy and paste formatted content, but in order to have a formatted link you need to encode it correctly into the clipboard. It's then dependent on the receiving app to correctly decode your copied info. ClipSpy (http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/168/ClipSpy) will let you look at the clipboard on a Windows comp, not sure if there's something similar for Mac, I don't have a Mac.

Also not sure if the clipboards on Macs use similar formatting, but one would think so.

This topic is 3245 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.