Server Maintenance This Week. ×

MirrorSync installation problem

This topic is 3069 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I am looking to setup a sync process between iPads in the field with a single table registration form that is synchronised back (one way) to a central database when they come back online. I've started looking at MirrorSync but (embarrassingly) I cannot get to the installation stage. I have read the 360Works "wikipedia-looking" basic and advanced setup, but to no avail.
In short, this is my setup:

• Windows 2008 R2 running FMS 12 (with plans to move to FMS 14 soon)
  • 1 iPad (at this stage) that is running the solution on it.
  • My development environment is a Mac.

Am I correct in assuming that I run the WindowsInstaller.exe on the FMS? When I do, I get an error straight away: "Shell Execution Failed. Verify that Java is installed and run setup again.2". Now it may be detecting an older version of Java because I have Version 7 Update 75 on there due to the FMS Admin Console issues and have been advised to go back to 7/75 - so is this my issue and is there away around it? If this is not the issue, what might be going wrong? I've Googled this and found nothing.

Do I need to install anything on the iPads, as that is where the solution will be sitting?
Once I get this working, I will be purchasing licenses for up to 8 iPads - with this first one being just a trial. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Greg

Edited by Greg Hains
My error

There is nothing to install on the iPad - MirrorSync does its magic all server side - once installed and you go thru the process you will copy some layouts and scripts ( and possibly create some need fields ) to your database the scripts will act as the bridge between the server (hub) and fmgo ( spoke )

You could try to run MirrorSync locally on your Mac computer for testing so as not interfere with your exiting server. - I think the demo runs for a few hours. The setup will ask you the IP or domain name of the server which can be a separate machine. 

I am sure someone will chime in with a recommendation regarding the Windows installation.

Hi OceanWest - here to bail me out yet again.  :-)

Thats what I thought - nothing for the iPad but jus the server, but with the installation going so wrong so quickly I thought I better ask.
I just tried installing on my Win 2012 FMS14 server as well - same problem. This installer came directly from 360Works website so assume it's ok. 

Greg

Edited by Greg Hains

Hi Greg - make sure that you've extracted the .zip archive (WIndows allows you to run installers from within the zip archive, but that will always fail). Also make sure that you've preserved the directory structure of the extracted directory - in other words, don't try to move the installer application out of the extracted folder and then run it.

If you've done that and it's still failing, please call us at (770) 234-9293 to arrange for a screen sharing session.

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for your help.

The Windows installer (executable file, not a ZIP archive) is the file that came directly from 360 Works. I have tried to treat it as a ZIP file but does not respond as one. When the file is double-clicked it starts off with the correct dialog boxes etc for installation directory but stops with that error. 

I am in Australia so we'd need to take into consideration time zones for remote control.

Cheers,
Greg

• 2 months later...
  • Newbies

So what were you doing wrong. I am having the exact same issue and I have found nothing out there to solve it. I emailed 360works twice and have only received an automated response. In fairness the second email was sent today, the day after Thanksgiving. But, I need to move forward with my project and have been stalled for about five days now. I have unzipped and tried to install but keep getting error message. Any suggestion would be welcomed.

Hi Brogan6,

The fault was mine - and in the end 360Works actually remote controlled the server I was trying to install it on and did it for me. I was very impressed with that alone, so give them a chance to get back to you if you still need them.
What actually happened is that when I installed the product, I separated all the files into Win vs Mac etc and ran it that way - hoping to minimise the files I had to transfer to the hosting server, but this was wrong. When 360Works did the install, they left the extracted file set completely intact - and it worked.  I don't have my full email handy, but if you are still having issues, I will get the transcript through to you.

Cheers,
Greg

brogan6,

We were not open last Thursday & Friday. One of my coworkers will get back with you as soon as possible. Unfortunately I don't have a way to tie your FMForums post to your ticket so I won't know when we hit your ticket in the queue, if you'd like to PM me the email you used for your ticket so I can verify we have a ticket from you, feel free to.

Hi Brogan - I did not see a ticket come through for this in our issue system. If you received an auto-reply from us, please let me know the ticket # so that I can see your original problem report.

As Greg pointed out, it is important that 1) you extract the downloaded .zip file before trying to run the installer, and 2) keep the entire MirrorSync download directory together when running the installer. In other words, don't drag certain items out of the folder and then try to run the installer.

This topic is 3069 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.