Server Maintenance This Week. ×

not displaying a field in a report

littlered136

This topic is 3122 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

I am a novice at filemaker pro. I am trying to get it to show what report version it is in the header of a report. I have tried several solutions and none seem to work. I want to have a separate layout table where I can put what report version it is what script it is working off and what schedule it is working off. I have put in the information in the report layout 2 layout and when i want it to show up in the all units report. But when I click on the all units report within the scene details layout it doesn't show up the report version it is just blank. Can anyone help guide me to what I need to do to ahceive this and what I have done wrong.

Please remember I am a novice and don't understand filemaker that well yet!

Thanks

sarah

Crowd Breakdown copy.fmp12

You only have two tables, Scenes and Characters, and you're using a bunch of self-joins and the graph is getting messy. I suspect you may need one or more additional tables.

For example, you might want a Report table, with a field for date and another that stores a list of all the Scene IDs that were listed in the report. That would make it easy to pull up the same scene list later, assuming no records were deleted. It's hard to say what would work without knowing more what your goal is. If you just want a temporary field where you can enter a report version for printing, just put a global field in the header, it can be from any table.

Hi Fitch

Thanks for the reply and help. I create a table just for that information and it says in the field in the report unrelated table???

Basically I don't want to have to put this information into a field in the scene details layout as it doesn't relate to that scene. 

Basically I want to be able to open a layout and put in what schedule we are working on and what script we are working off, then when it generated the report it put this information in the top of the report. So then everyone knows if they are working off the correct script and schedule. Does this make sense?

Crowd Breakdown copy.fmp12

Edited by littlered136

"So then everyone knows..." How do they know? Do they call up this report in FileMaker, or do you print the report and hand it out? Is this a one-time operation, or do you need to call up the same group of records and print the same report later?

As I said, if you use a field whose storage is set to GLOBAL, it doesn't need to be related. That's fine for ad hoc printing. But it doesn't store that report information with the records that were printed. So if you need to call up the report later, you'd have to manually re-create it.

• Like 1

Hi sorry by they I meant whoever you give the report to. I save it as a PDF then give it out, they never actually use to see the database just the report. 

Setting it to global worked perfectly. Thank you so much. I learnt something new in here. Really appreciated you giving me time and guidance with it!!

thanks

This topic is 3122 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.