Global Container field or just Paste image?

This topic is 8021 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Dear all,

Here I am finally asking the question that bugged me now for some time. What is the benifit of pasting an image into a Global Container, rather than simply pasting the image on the layout?

1. An additional global field increases the db size.

2. You can resize the pasted image just like you would a field, etc.

I know there must be a good reason, like access to the image, but I can't think of one.

Thanks for your thoughts

I use a lot of icons, most of them appearing on multiple layouts. Storing them in global containers makes them easy to use with the added benefit that if I have to change one it means replacing the contents of one global. It also reduces storage.

Let's say your database is really good and you begin to sell it. You'll probably need to customise the database for other people. It's easier to change the databases if important images are in a global field (even betterin a container field in a prefs file), in fact the end-users can change the images themselves because they don't have to use layout mode.

I think that's the clincher.

Hi,

I agree with Vaughan... It is much easier to store one graphic in a global that all files/layouts will utilize.

I'm with Vaughan on using a 'Prefs' file to store this image. You can then give 'certain' end-users privileges to change the image without compromising the integrity or security of the other files in your solution. Using a 'Prefs' file is also very handy when you want to market your solution to other clients. New clients only change items in the 'Prefs' file.

IDEA:

Create a 'Prefs' file with all sorts of 'interface' components. You could have different colored buttons; different colored tabs; different icons; differnet layout themes; different field names; ETC. ETC. ETC. You could even go so far as to have different field names for different languages.

Have fun with this one... your creativity is your constraint!

Good Luck!

Bob

Container fields and a preferences file as described above is pretty much exactly what I use for my race timing systems. This gives users the ability to insert their own club or sponsor logos into the databases for display purposes and also to appear in printed or pdf results.

While this makes the system flexible for them, the main advantage is that it keeps the users away from any layout privelages, avoiding the chance of them making a design "mistake".

This topic is 8021 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.