Server Maintenance This Week. ×

moving the tab defining body and header

Charity

This topic is 3067 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I do not know what to call the tab which reads BODY or HEADER.  Sometimes it appears to the left and sometimes on the bottom of a layout but if I have a field label in a report and that tab is at the bottom so I can not move the label to even select it.  Do people know what I am talking about?  Also that tab changes the width of the layout and it is confusing.  I want to set it to default stay in one place which is on the left.  If you need I can provide picture of it.  What is it called and where can I read about it in help and how can I set it stay on the left please.

I thought it was called tab control but that is not it either.

OK. I read it and I see how it jumps back and forth but only when designing and not when in browse so it just looks like it is changes size within the window but does not really.  Part label I would not have figured that in my lifetime.  Thank you Comment.

2 hours ago, Charity said:

Sometimes it appears to the left and sometimes on the bottom

This is controlled by the button / icon at the lower left corner of your layout

https://www.filemaker.com/help/14/fmp/en/html/create_layout.9.19.html#1028136

Which allows you to change the view of the layout part label,  between  horizontal and vertical.

If you’re clicking on it, then that would explain why you are thinking that your layout is changing size.

• Like 1

Hi Charity,

This switch from part label on bottom to part label on left causes the 'real' layout to shift to the right and it makes a scroll bar appear down the right side of the window so it seems the layout size increased because the window was no longer large enough for it but this only happens in layout mode as you've discovered.

• Like 1

I wanted to explain by window size.  It does not really look like scroll bar down right but that is what it is.  Because when panel label is on bottom I get a clean line on the right if my window is exactly at the edge of the layout.  when switch to left panel label it disappears and I need to drag my window to the right about 20 pt to again find the edge.

I almost threw up my hands at the lunacy of it like where did my elements on the right edge go?  It was subtle so I did not catch that it was simply shifting over on screen.  dumb

This topic is 3067 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.