Retire date

This topic is 3022 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

So I tried calc with Date ( 12 ; 19 ; Year ( 1951 ) + 65 ) and it says 12/19/0071 and that is not what I want.  I have date field with person's birthday and I want to know what date they will turn 65.  What am I doing wrong?

This does not work either Employees::birthdate + Year ( 65 ).  I suppose I could calculate the number of days in 65 years and then add it but I am just not understanding this.  Ideas guys?

Edited by rob

2 hours ago, rob said:

So I tried calc with Date ( 12 ; 19 ; Year ( 1951 ) + 65 ) and it says 12/19/0071 and that is not what I want.

Well, Year ( 1951 ) returns 6, so that makes no sense. If you had used Date ( 12 ; 19 ; 1951 + 65 ) you would have received the expected result.

2 hours ago, rob said:

I have date field with person's birthday and I want to know what date they will turn 65.

For this, you should be using:

Date ( Month ( Birthdate )  ; Day ( Birthdate ) ; Year ( Birthdate ) + 65 ) 

Edited by comment
  • Like 1

Thank you Comment.  Now I should have known this because I was using data viewer to enter the date manually and I knew the 65 must be in the year portion but I did it wrong I see.  Good that I did because now I learn more but I have been scratching my head on this

Year ( 1951 ) returns 6

Would you explain the 6 please?  I did notice that Year ( 1951 ) + 65 ) and it says 12/19/0071 and that 71 - 65 equals 6 but that does not explain why.

22 minutes ago, rob said:

Year ( 1951 ) returns 6

Would you explain the 6 please?

The Year() function requires date as its parameter. The supplied parameter (1951) is a number, not a date. Therefore, Year ( 1951 ) is evaluated as:

Year ( GetAsDate ( 1951 ) )

Now, GetAsDate ( 1951 ) returns 5/5/0006, because the 1,951st day since the beginning of Filemaker's era on 1/1/0001 is 5/5/0006.

Further illustration:

Year ( 365 ) returns 1;

Year ( 366 ) returns 2.

• Like 2

This topic is 3022 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.