Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Portal and Find Results (Portal only showing one record)

King Felix

This topic is 3017 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello all,

(Another) FM noob here, getting there slowly (I think). I'm having a problem with portals that I was hoping someone might be able to assist with.

I'm building a database for my boss that requires a series of drop-down boxes that act as filters - these work fine in that they successfully find the appropriate records - I'd like to display the results in a portal, however the portal is only displaying one record - I suspect my table relationships might be the culprit, but I'm at a bit of a loss.

I've attached my tables below.

g_DropDownList stores global values for the drop-down fields - each field can be cleared using a scripted button.

The portal is showing related records from related table "Contact Database Portal".

I've probably missed something woefully obvious and I'd be grateful if someone could educate me. :)

db1.png

I might be wrong - but those g_ global fields should actually in the Contact Database table, and used as the basis for the left side of the relationship... Otherwise, the Contact Database to Contact Database something will only ever match on the current record.

4 hours ago, King Felix said:

g_DropDownList stores global values for the drop-down fields - each field can be cleared using a scripted button.

The portal is showing related records from related table "Contact Database Portal".

Is your layout set to show records from the g_DropDownList TO?

--
P.S.

1. I don't see why you need the Contact Database -- Contact Database Portal self-join;
  2. I would recommend adding a ContactID field (auto-entered serial number) to the Contact table. In fact, I would recommend adding such field to any table you might have - now or in the future;
  3. What is a Product Type field doing in a Conatcts table?

29 minutes ago, webko said:

those g_ global fields should actually in the Contact Database table

They can be in any table.

Edited by comment

This topic is 3017 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.