Using setRange($skip, $max) to return 0 records

This topic is 2981 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm performing some find operations that I only want to get the total number of records returned for display purposes, and don't need to return any records.

I've tried using the following:

$max = 0;
$skip = 0;

$request->setRange($skip, $max) 

$result = $request->execute(); 

but this looks like it's returning all the found records, not zero records. I had assumed 0 was a valid value for $max but it appears this isn't so. Anyone have any experience with this or know a way to return zero records but still be able to call getFoundSetCount() to get the total number of found records?

26 minutes ago, webko said:

You don't need to display found records, so I'm not sure I see the point... You can just perform the find and get the record count

Hi webko,

Thanks for your reply. My issue is that if I set $max to 0 then it returns all matching records in the result, which at a certain point will return a 500 server error as it's run out of memory.

Can you create a FM script that does the find, and sets a global field with Get(FoundCount)? Then you could use a newPerformScript() call in php, and then pull just the one field with a newFindAny() call.

Or another tack would be to create a layout with only the fields involved with the find, and query that.

Oops, that's what webko just said!

Edited by doughemi

2 hours ago, webko said:

Also... How many records are potentially being returned? On a tuned layout (i.e., with only the fields needed for the -find) I can return 10,000+ without error

It's returning thousands of records potentially - it was working fine with just hundreds. I've changed the max to 1 and created special layouts for these finds and that has fixed the problem for now. I wish the API didn't return the meta data/data for all the found records until you requested them - just the number of records found and any errors etc. 

This topic is 2981 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.