Relational valuelist online

This topic is 8290 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I purchased Filemaker pro5 a few weeks ago, partly because of the relational value list facility.

All works well, but not through the web companion.

I have used all the knowledge i have assembled during the last few years but to no avail.

I was hoping, for someone to tell me there is a solution to the problem!

And last but not least to share the solution with me!

Kia ora from New Zealand

Well, the real problem is NOT Filemaker, but the web browser interface. Web browsers are simply not capable of relational value lists, because that concept does not exist to them.

Once you enter the web arena, you are no longer in Filemaker and do not have access to its features. I know what you want to do and I know that it is possible in HTML based interfaces, but you really need to talk to a web page developer and they will be able to tell you how this can be done.

quote:

Originally posted by Kitesurfer:

I purchased Filemaker pro5 a few weeks ago, partly because of the relational value list facility.

All works well, but not through the web companion.

I have used all the knowledge i have assembled during the last few years but to no avail.

I was hoping, for someone to tell me there is a solution to the problem!

And last but not least to share the solution with me!

Kia ora from New Zealand

It depends what do you need, I have some kind of working concept on my website with relational value lists. Could you be more specific? Maybe there is a way :-)

The solution is quite simple. I will assume from what you have written that you have a FMPro db in which you have a layout using a pop-up menu / valuelist. Works great in FMPro but sucks on the web, as noted by others. For this discussion I will refer to your valuelist-field by the name "things"

What you should be doing (if you've reviewed these forums you will have seen this) is to use a layout specifically designed for the web. On that layout you should have the field things, but it should be formatted as a standard field, not a pop-up list or menu. And you should then direct your cdml tags to that field.

Now if you want, you can create an html pop-up which uses the values of your valuelist, and you can direct that to your field things using whatever cdml tag is appropriate to the task you are using.

And for your own edification in your database, not using the web, you may want to select a value from the layout displaying your pop-up, and then go to the layout on which the pop-up is displayed as a standard field and review the results. Also, you may want to experiment with entering a valuelist value into the standard field and then going to the layout which displays that list as a pop-up to see what has occurred, if anything.

This topic is 8290 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.