Needed Bandwidth for Ethernet- connecting two offices

This topic is 2941 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone, 

in the near future we would like to connect our first office with a new one, some 300miles from the first. We are running a FMS14 server and the clients are connecting via FMP.

Currently I am looking into a dedicated line from Telekom that is providing a dedicated LAN connection between the two offices (called LAN connect or Ethernet Connect). They have different bandwidths, starting at 2,5Mbit/s to 5 MBit/s and going up to 10GBit/s (unaffordable obviously). 

Has anyone done tests with a line like this and experience with performance? I am not looking into the usual tweaks that can help WAN performance (unstored calcs etc), I would be really interested in what a dedicated Ethernet line does compared to a fast Internet connection.

Furthermore- where could I look at the server to calculate the actual needed bandwidth  of that line?

I tested using FMS14 on an EC2 machine with a fast internet connection (the EC2 M4 Extra Large)  connecting with a 50MBit / 10 MBit Internet connection but was not happy with the performance.

Thanks for your opinions. 

If you designed your solution well, you will need 256kbit pr user. I prefer users to have the user interface on their local machine and the data on a server.

I would run the solution on a KOVE XPress Disk or on a RAM disk in any other machine.

Edited by ggt667

23 minutes ago, ggt667 said:

If you designed your solution well, you will need 256kbit pr user. I prefer users to have the user interface on their local machine and the data on a server.

I would run the solution on a KOVE XPress Disk or on a RAM disk in any other machine.

Hi ggt667, 

thanks for replying to this. What I am trying to find out is how to somehow measure the necessary bandwidth with the database I have buildt. This would move me from thinking that I might have designed well to knowing I have the right bandwith needed. 

Good idea to have the interface on a local file. That will be possible. 

Thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16. März 2016 at 11:16 AM, liltbrockie said:

The best way to do this is by way of a remote desktop connection using a server as the remote desktop manager... anything else is a compromise.

Yes, this would be great performance wise. But then I would like to have users log in with a profile. If I remember correctly, multiple user sessions can only be done with a program such as http://www.aquaconnect.net/remote-desktop-services or what would you recommend? All users are using macs. Thanks

On 14 February, 2016 at 4:45 PM, cat traveller said:

Good idea to have the interface on a local file. That will be possible. 

Yes, and the best thing; I believe, is to push it as a plugin updaate to each user.

On 16 March, 2016 at 11:16 AM, liltbrockie said:

The best way to do this is by way of a remote desktop connection using a server as the remote desktop manager... anything else is a compromise.

I have been using Citrix, VNC and remote desktop, the best client I have seen to date for VNC and RDP is guacamole

There are howtos on the internet for that. It makes it easier to distribute and keep the solution at scale for WAN solutions.

Edited by ggt667

On 16. März 2016 at 11:16 AM, liltbrockie said:

I would really like to know what program you would use for access. Obviously, there would have to be a multiple user logon to the server. If I remember correctly real VPN is only one user logged onto the server, right?

On 30. März 2016 at 9:54 PM, ggt667 said:

I have been using Citrix, VNC and remote desktop, the best client I have seen to date for VNC and RDP is guacamole

Thanks for the suggest, but VNC is only for a single user session logon, right? Guacamole is only for linux and windows? What would be your alternative to use for a mac osx server and multiple users?

16 hours ago, cat traveller said:

Thanks for the suggest, but VNC is only for a single user session logon, right? Guacamole is only for linux and windows? What would be your alternative to use for a mac osx server and multiple users?

Guacamole requires a web browser with HTML5 for the client( meaning Windows, linux and mac users can connect to any of the protocols mentioned below ) and 
basically any unix system with tomcat8 to run the server side, I run mine in linux( my experience. ) It should run just as fine in MacOS X.

Guacamole is for all practical purposes a HTML5 remote login client that enables you to login to: VNC, MSRDP, ssh, and telnet. 

Edited by ggt667

This topic is 2941 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.