Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Text field limit: 2GB, or 10,000,000 characters?

This topic is 2972 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Looking for text field limit for FileMaker 14, and this is what I got:

2GB, or "< 10,000,000 characters per field per repetition (limited by available memory)".

This is where I got confused. What does it mean "10,000,000 characters per field per repetition"? It definitely not is the length of the full text, I believe.

1 hour ago, Northbay said:

Looking for text field limit for FileMaker 14, and this is what I got:

2GB, or "< 10,000,000 characters per field per repetition (limited by available memory)".

Where are you quoting this from? The official source to go to is here -  and it does not say "2GB".

Thanks for the explanation, Kris M.

Hi comment, yes, it's not a official source because I can't find any. The link is here. By the way, do you know any info about the maximum of a text field, i.e. 2GB or something else?

Edited by Northbay

Yes, that's the first one I searched. I just still have no idea how many a text field will hold finally because I can't find any explanation for "10,000,000 characters per field per repetition" before Krim M give one.

Edited by Northbay

2 minutes ago, Northbay said:

I can't find any explanation for "10,000,000 characters per field per repetition"

I agree it is not well formulated. It seems like they wanted to say "10,000,000 characters per repetition". Which in practical terms (assuming you are not using repeating fields) would translate to "10,000,000 characters per field".

22 minutes ago, comment said:

I agree it is not well formulated. It seems like they wanted to say "10,000,000 characters per repetition". Which in practical terms (assuming you are not using repeating fields) would translate to "10,000,000 characters per field".

comment, based on Krim M's explanation, may I say the maximum a text field can hold is "10,000,000 characters x 32,000" ?

17 minutes ago, Wim Decorte said:

each repetition in a field is in essence a different field.

That depends on the purpose. For example, for the purpose of finding (and hence for the purpose of indexing), all repetitions of a field are in essence a single field.

49 minutes ago, Northbay said:

based on Krim M's explanation, may I say the maximum a text field can hold is "10,000,000 characters x 32,000" ?

You may say whatever you wish, but the only authoritative source we have is FMI's tech specs. What exactly is the issue you are trying to solve here?

35 minutes ago, comment said:

That depends on the purpose. For example, for the purpose of finding (and hence for the purpose of indexing), all repetitions of a field are in essence a single field.

You may say whatever you wish, but the only authoritative source we have is FMI's tech specs. What exactly is the issue you are trying to solve here?

I want to create a global text field to put tech journals. It's supposed to be big. Seems OK for now, but I'm just worried about sometime in the future ...

1 hour ago, Northbay said:

I want to create a global text field to put tech journals.

1. Why would you want to use a global field for this?

2. Keep in mind that the more structured your data is (e.g. divided into publications, volumes, articles) the more control you will have. For dumping data into a black hole, you might be better off using a text file.

What do you mean, "a global text field to put tech journals."?

Recognize that a global field is an evaporating field.

Is this a multi-user system?

This topic is 2972 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.