Time Field for Durations?

This topic is 2914 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I need to create a 'Duration' field for a Table of movies to enter the Hours / Mins / Seconds.   The 'Time' Field type seems to be designed for time of day, not a length of time, and it seems like it could be used for my purposes here, since no film would be longer than 24 hours.  Since the Time field is stored a numerical value of seconds, it would seem to 'behave' as I'd want it too, and I could use calculations to render the time in minutes or hours and minutes as needed.

But is this a 'best practice'?  Am I overlooking some potential unintended and unwanted consequences using a Time Field for Duration as opposed to time of day?   Something that will come back to haunt me?  if so, what is the alternative -- creating 3 fields for Hr/Min/Sec and manipulating them as needed?

32 minutes ago, Wickerman said:

The 'Time' Field type seems to be designed for time of day,

No, it is perfectly suitable for durations as well.

33 minutes ago, Wickerman said:

it seems like it could be used for my purposes here, since no film would be longer than 24 hours.

There's no problem with using a Time field for storing durations that exceed 24 hours either.

34 minutes ago, Wickerman said:

But is this a 'best practice'?

That depends on your situation, but in general I would say yes. But keep in mind that entering times is not as straightforward as entering dates, for example.

This topic is 2914 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.