Control editing of Value Lists

This topic is 2892 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This question relates to FM12.  Not sure if this 'feature' is available in 13 or 14 yet.

I'm wondering if there is a way to script control of editing Value Lists.  Two things up front:  1.  I'm not referring to the Manage Value Lists menu; rather the "Allow editing of Value List" option in the Inspector.  2. I'm aware of alternate methods to re-create value lists using tables and relationships.  I don't want to do that, but of course, I'll resort to it if necessary.

The goal is to allow certain users the ability to edit value lists while restricting others.  FileMaker offers many security layers that can be managed by developers, include access to the Manage Value Lists menu, but strangely not 'editing' of value lists via the checkbox in the Inspector.

So, before I go creating more tables and relationships just to handle a simple value list I thought I'd ask if someone here has created the solution I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 hour ago, Steve Martino said:

Does this help?

Just from looking at your screenshots (correct me if I'm wrong), it looks like you're just modifying a privilege set to not allow access to value lists.  I'm trying to find a way to enable/disable the "allow editing of value list" option, currently only available in Inspector, and either always on or off.

Well myself, I try not to use hard-coded value lists, instead drawing them from another table - and that you can lock down so standard users can't edit the lists....

8 hours ago, davidnickerson said:

The goal is to allow certain users the ability to edit value lists while restricting others.  FileMaker offers many security layers that can be managed by developers, include access to the Manage Value Lists menu, but strangely not 'editing' of value lists via the checkbox in the Inspector.

IMHO, this is a bug - and a serious one at that.

I believe the expected behavior is this:

• If you disable the "Allow editing of value list" option, then no user will be able to edit the value list by clicking into the field and selecting "Edit…";
  • If the option is enabled, then some users should be able to edit the attached value list and some not - depending on their privilege set.

What I find is that with the option being enabled, any user can click into the field and proceed to edit the value list - even when their privilege set gives them "View only" access to value lists.

I tested this in version 11 - apparently this is also true for version 12 at least. Someone should test if this is still true in version 15 and report it.

This topic is 2892 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.