Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can I link a folder path to a file maker project, with all the files inside

This topic is 2831 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I'm a new user of file maker, I have a project that requires me to link images in the actual large size to their related reference.

My question is, can I link the path of the whole folder to its specific data, where I can open the files that I want to open from the folder itself?

I am using filemaker 13 pro.Thanks in advance for tour answers

Hi Wim,

Thanks for replying.

the FM project will be used for windows as well as MAC

my main concern is to bring images in a full screen.

I have many images that are related to many data, and I want them to be displayed in a full screen when a press on them.

You can use a webviewer (although it might not be the best option).

You can define a webviewer as...

"file:\\YourNetworkPath\" & yourTable::YourIndexField

This works on windows systems (I've never tried it on a mac, it depends on the "default web browser" that filemaker uses).

The downsides are:

• You have no control over how the files are displayed. (Although the user can, same as with any explorer window)
  • The user could navigate away from the folder displayed. (The webviewer must be interactive for a user the use it this way)
  • Permissions for the folder are not handled by filemaker.
  • Filemaker will not create the path for you. (Although that could be done with a Send Event Command on windows or Apple script or whatever is used now on the Mac OS)
  • This will only work on local networks. (Any users not in the same domain as where the file path exists will not be able to access it.)

I have done this and it can be a good solution depending on the environment you are working in.

15 hours ago, aholtzapfel said:

You can use a webviewer (although it might not be the best option).

You can define a webviewer as...

"file:\\YourNetworkPath\" & yourTable::YourIndexField

Not if you are storing images in containers because this approach above needs to rely on OS-level network sharing to where the files are.  That's a big NO NO when using FM's native remote container feature.

15 hours ago, uthealth said:

I created a separate portal for the related images table with a container field for each image that I want to relate.

That doesn't seem to answer my question, especially the "want to relate".

Can you describe the workflow?

is the end result that the user creates a new record in the portal with a selected image in the container?

Or do the portal records with images in the container already exist and you just want to open them for the user to view?

I have to do a research project about more than 100 case.

each case has 3 to 4 slides and each slide has 4 to 5 pictures.

the end result is that the researchers should be able to see the case information, input data about each slide of that case, and see pictures in full screen of each slide.

I created a table of the main cases and another one for the slides and relate them together.

Now I want to create another table of the slides' images and relate it to them , but the images got to be shown in a full screen.

Sorry if I couldn't deliver my questions clearly!

13 minutes ago, uthealth said:

Now I want to create another table of the slides' images and relate it to them , but the images got to be shown in a full screen.

What is not clear from your description is whether that data already exist and you just want to show it.

Or is the workflow you want to put together on how the users can create the data with the images and then show it when they want.

I want the users to be able to create a data base with all the images and be able to retrieve them easily when they were needed.

although some of the data are already exist, but the project isn't up yet. It will continue at least for a couple more years.

This topic is 2831 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.