Perform Find on a Calculated Field

This topic is 2762 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I feel like I am about to ask the most rookie question ever... but here goes anyway...

I'm performing a find on a calculated field that is supposed to be a non-zero number (it is actually a count). I basically want to find all records where "Needs Review" is true (non zero).

Here's the calculated field definition:

a5f2c6e545c1430bbb9260c341e29d70.png

When I perform find on "Needs Review" ">0", I always get no records found, even though there are some there. 

What am I doing wrong?

365ac19d466c4e038507cefea6fec8fc.png

Thanks,

Ryan

Enter find mode, put an asterisk * in the field.  It will find any record that has a value in that field.

Here's a link to help you with finds:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13715/kw/find operators/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ3NTE4MzIzMS9zaWQvWS1OdzNUX20%3D

Edited by Steve Martino

The result type is Number. I had a problem with a calculated field returning nulls for a report one time, so I threw the "0+" in my calculated fields since then and have kind of kept the habit. Especially for fields I plan on using as a booleans.

Is the calculation result type set to 'Number'? If you have it set to 'Text' that can give very unexpected results.

Also, uncheck the 'Do not evaluate if all referenced fields are empty' to see if that helps.

Otherwise, I would try a 'Recover' on the file.

I have seen this sort of problem on files we run where we have fields that are a result of the Sum of lots of related fields. I sometimes wonder if there is an obscure bug in FileMaker around this, but then I remember that most 'bugs' turn out to be 'user misunderstandings'!!

This is starting to look like a FMS bug to me. I have similar code in another database on the same server, and it too is not finding records where a calculated result (number) is > 0.

That exact same code is running on one of my databases that's on an older FMS server (version 13) and it is working fine there.

I thought I was going crazy... this should be working and I'm pretty sure that it WAS working for a long time, but now I'm seeing it on multiple database in different scenarios, but all one one server that is hosted.

Server Version

Edited by RyanESmith7

15 minutes ago, RyanESmith7 said:

This is starting to look like a FMS bug to me.

You did not mention this was a served file. I recall similar issues being reported before, regarding search in unstored calculation fields of served files. If I remember correctly, the solutions involved:

• updating the server software to the latest subversion;
  • restarting the server.

Edited by comment

Thanks, comment. When I started investigating this, I thought I was doing something wrong 'cause I saw it in some new code. But now that I see it affecting old code, too, I'm putting 2 and 2 together. I'll reach out to my vendor and see if they can update and restart the server.

This topic is 2762 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.