theusualsuspect

Webdirect "Session Expired" on Mobile too Early

1 post in this topic

I've developed a webdirect solution which is working great on desktops, but I'm running into a weird quirk on mobile. When users leave safari (on an iphone) and make a call, open their calendar, etc - even for as little as 3 minutes - when they come back to safari they have to re-authenticate because the session has expired. (This is for a sales team that makes calls and schedules appointments, so they spend 2-5 minutes on the phone and in their calendar app before returning to safari to enter the details into the database.)

My guess is the phone is suspending safari processes to conserve battery, and if the users open other apps it's forcing safari to need to reload the page, hence the re-authenticate. I have set the session timeout to 20 minutes on FMS, and I have no issues on desktops, so there must be something on the client side triggering this.

One alternative I thought of was to use Filemaker GO. (At least for the IOS users.) I don't have the issue there, but sorting is dreadful in FM Go. I love how webdirect handles sorting on the server and sends over chunks at a time. FM Go takes forever to download a few hundred files and THEN sort. (To it's credit, it's faster than webdirect once everything is downloaded, but on mobile with patchy connectivity it's not a good option for me.)

I am at a loss for solutions - if there are any - but thought I'd ask. Is there anything I can do about the session timeout issue with webdirect on mobile? (Was considering wrapping the solution in a custom app to potentially help dedicate memory to it, but not sure if that would make a difference.) Thanks in advance!